Gummed up throttle

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

Gummed up throttle

Postby hohocc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 am

My very old OS20 has the throttle gummed up and is stuck at around full throttle after many years of sitting. I managed to get it running today, hoping the heat generated might help free things up but no joy, so am after any useful ideas. I have a few other engines that will be much the same when I go to resurrect them! On the positive side the old 80/20 castor fuel has preserved it well from what I could see when I removed it from the model for a clean up and external degunge. My best guess is to soak the carb in new fuel (for a few days?), unless anybody can come up with a better solution.
Thanks.
hohocc

Re: Gummed up throttle

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:27 am

Take the throttle off and boil it in water for an hour+ this will loosen all the gunge and you should be able to disassemble it and scrub it clean with an old toothbrush you can then use solvents to remove the last bits.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:21 pm

I like WD40.. If you soak it for a couple of days it may help... I even use it to get the fat and grease off the barbie... Smells funny for a couple of days though...
Beats all the wifes spray on kitchen cleaners...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby hohocc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Excellent, thanks for the help!
And that's a great idea with the BBQ too...
hohocc

Postby AshleyB32 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 am

heating in water is the go and when u get it apart heat it some more then hit it with some solvent plane methanol or something and scrub it b4 the old caster-oil hardens up again ive done it quite a few times my self
AshleyB32

Postby hohocc » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:03 am

Thanks the water worked really well!
hohocc

Return to IC Engines