Muffler noob question

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

Muffler noob question

Postby AltechMYOB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:04 am

Hi all.

Can one mufflers exhaust be fed into anothers intake (yes, the rest of the inlet manifold would have to be blocked off) for a worthwhile drop in apparent sound? ie. a very quiet IC engine.

TIA :)
AltechMYOB

Re: Muffler noob question

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Yes in the 70's lots of add on silencers were on the market.
As the standard silencers improved these seem to have disappeared.
However nothing stops you adding another silencer except a drop in power output.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks for your reply Bill.

I was hoping for somebody with direct experience having done or seen (heard ;) ) it done. Due to a lack of tools/facilities it would be difficult for me to try this. As I don't possess 1 muffler let alone 2, I was hoping to cut-out the time and expense of experimenting (potentially) only to find it wasn't worth the effort after all.
AltechMYOB

Postby zann68 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 am

Something I did when I was a kid when started out with Nitro's and the neighbors complained about the noise was to put steel wool in my mufflers. Seemed to work well, just don't pack it in to tight. You will need to experiment with this for the type of engine.

Jeff
Calm down!! Gravity has been checked, and it's still working
zann68

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:57 am

I've got a box of old motors and a couple of old add ons they were connected to the output of the main silencer by silicon tube and hose clips.
Here's Tomas Gehlen making one out of plumbing materials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSD3i8GugV4
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby AltechMYOB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 pm

zann68 wrote:Something I did when I was a kid when started out with Nitro's and the neighbors complained about the noise was to put steel wool in my mufflers. Seemed to work well, just don't pack it in to tight. You will need to experiment with this for the type of engine.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff... sounds good. The OS rotary is what I've been day-dreaming about. I want it to be very quiet. I've had all sorts of weird things popping into my head including reflecting the sound upwards. Problem is it takes something very hard to do a good job of reflecting sound in the direction you want it to go, like a ceramic surface. Of course that's way to heavy to put in a model and still expect it to fly! :)

BillGriffiths100 wrote:I've got a box of old motors and a couple of old add ons they were connected to the output of the main silencer by silicon tube and hose clips.
Here's Tomas Gehlen making one out of plumbing materials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSD3i8GugV4

Thanks Bill... that's something I never would have thought of, using silicon tubing to connect it up. hmm... very easy to route that stuff, that would be very helpful for placement of a second muffler.
Watching that video build reminded me of firearm suppressors... same principle I guess.
AltechMYOB

Return to IC Engines