Dummies guide to electric

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Dummies guide to electric

Postby pete Stanford » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 am

Can anyone out there (and I'm looking directly at this web sites perveyor here) give a really brief, non technical guide of what electric motor goes with what ESC goes with what LiPo. Also, what electric motor equals what IC engine. I have searched and searched and cannot find a dummies guide to this. Even in my club, I get baffled with unimportant bullshit. Perhaps a general cheats table of what goes with what. Is anyone up for the challenge?
pete Stanford

Re: Dummies guide to electric

Postby Treebuster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 am

http://www.springfieldrcclub.com/electricpower.html

Not sure this is what your looking for but this gives a way to calculate electric sizes only but you have to do the calculations.....
Treebuster

Postby Treebuster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 am

Treebuster

Postby pete Stanford » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 am

G'day Treebuster, did I mention the word "Dummy"? Thanks for the reply and that site certainly has given me some brain work to do. The good news is that I now understand how to calculate the wattage of a motor, how to calculate the size motor for the flying weight and the size ESC required for the motor. Unfortunately, the battery calculations are still a mystery to me. Can someone simplify (dumb down) the equation.
Cheers mate
pete Stanford

Postby pldb64 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:43 am

You could try listening to the "All Things That Fly" podcast (#207) which goes by the title of "The Perfect Electric Setup".

I've only been flying for < 2 months and that certainly gave me a really good grounding on how all the parts of the puzzle fit together.

The perfect outcome here would be if the contents of that podcast (or at least the key messages) was turned into an "Electrics 101" series of video's by our erstwhile mentor Mr Simpson :-) (Not that i want to actually distract him from finishing his FPV series however).
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Return to Electric Power Systems