Putting in New ESC and UBEC Questions

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Putting in New ESC and UBEC Questions

Postby indianaflyer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:58 pm

I have an FPV Raptor electric glider and I want to get this set up for future FPV flights. I'm starting by replacing the ESC that I heard is not too good.
I bought a 40amp Mystery ESC and also a 3amp/5amp max UBEC. I want to run both from the same battery.

Here is my problem - the Raptor has a place in the cowling/in front of the motor where you can place the ESC. This is the middle of the glider. Many people put
their ESCs in that place to help cool the ESC. But the battery usually goes up in the nose. The battery cable on the stock ESC is very long. It runs from the middle of the plane all the way to the front. My new Mystery ESC says not to have the battery more than six inches from the ESC. Well what I want to do is keep the battery in the nose but put my new ESC in the middle/cowling area. Since I want to use an external UBEC, would it be OK to run the battery cable more than six inches on my new ESC?

Also, since I want to use a separate UBEC, is ESC cooling really important? What's more important, keeping the ESC cool or UBEC cool? Since I want to use a UBEC, would it be OK to keep the ESC and UBEC close by the battery in the nose? I don't think there is much airflow in this area, I don't see any air intake holes in the nose.

Finally, where do you suggest I solder my UBEC to the battery at? On the wires that run from the battery to the ESC or right on the ESC where battery input is?
I have an ebook by John Salt and for helicopters and he says to solder the BEC right on the input solder joins of the ESC.

Thanks!
indianaflyer

Re: Putting in New ESC and UBEC Questions

Postby quarry44 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 pm

You'd be best to keep the battery wires as short as possible.Long wires build up resistance and the heat could fry your esc.Keep the esc close to the battery,and lengthen the esc output wires.As for the ubec, conventional wisdom suggests to keep as far away from the esc as possible.
quarry44

Postby indianaflyer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Yeah, I can do that. It's just a shame that there's a nice space for the ESC that sits in front of the motor. I hate to waste that space.
indianaflyer

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:54 pm

quarry44 wrote:conventional wisdom suggests

Indiana, Quarry :geek: is on the money here, you should also consider keeping the UBEC as far from TX/RX systems (including FPV) as they produce "noise" unless shielded.
Hallmark is also constructing a Raptor for FPV, follow his thread here
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1602
you will also find in there some info and assistance on the the UBEC. 8-)

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to Electric Power Systems