Battery is Shot after Crash

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Battery is Shot after Crash

Postby indianaflyer » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 pm

I had one of my electric gliders up today. I had in a new altimeter and reached a best 996 feet from ground level. I few minutes later I lost orinataion and my glider nose dived into the ground. The body/wings can be fixed with some glue and the motor still works. But I a few minutes ago I tried charging the 3 cell lipo
battery and it will not charge. I get a warning and when I check the individual cells, two of them say 4.0 and 3.9 but the other says 1.2. There is damage at the rear end of the battery, the part that faced the nose and probably rammed into the motor.

Is this battery savable at all? Is there anything I can try to save it? I'm willing to try even if it's a little dangerous. I would charge it outside and be very careful.

Thanks
indianaflyer

Re: Battery is Shot after Crash

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:38 am

If one cell has plunged to 1.2V then I'd say you're better off disposing of that battery and getting a new one.

Damaged lipos can (but don't always) pose a major fire risk so put it in a bucket of salt water for a few days then toss it out.

A new battery is cheaper than a burnt-up model or house!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cynr100 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:50 am

Ouch, :(

Don't take any risks with Li-pol batteries, they can burn your house down :shock:
Here is a site that has good info
http://radiocontrol.wikia.com/wiki/Lithium_polymer

If the pack is starting to bulge I suggest you ditch it ASAP, some guys hang onto their puffy packs and they charge/discharge fine, however don't bet your house on it. :)
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:52 am

could you take of the low cell,and use the remainder as a 2-cell pack?
quarry44

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 am

It *could* be done -- but if it were mine I'd always be wondering if one or both of the other cells were just waiting to fail -- after suffering the same impact as the dud one. Batteries aren't expensive these days -- I like to sleep without worrying if I'll be woken by sirens ;-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Electric Power Systems