My contribution towards "Dumbest thing i've done this week"

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

My contribution towards "Dumbest thing i've done this week"

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:31 am

Hi All,

So my contribution to the "Dumbest thing i've done this week" is as follows:

I was about to charge up 3 x 2200 batteries via a parallel charging board and unfortunately misaligned the balance leads (put the first one correctly into the 3S port, but put the second one into the 4S port such that the ground of the second battery was directly connected to a positive lead on one of the cells from the first battery). Result was a 24 gauge wire trying to cope with a rather large current surge! Needless to say it didn't go well!!!

So my resulting question to those that have more experience than i .... is it safe to try and replace the balance lead on the affected battery? Or should i simply discharge the battery and dispose of it?

Is there any risk that i've damaged the cell/cells or is it likely to have just affected the balance leads?

It's only a $12 battery and replacements are already enroute but i figured if it was a relatively straight forward fix, and a relatively safe one for future use, then i'd buy new leads and do a little DIY.

Anybody got an opinion?

Thanks
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Re: My contribution towards "Dumbest thing i've done this we

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:20 am

pldb64 wrote:Hi All,

Anybody got an opinion?

Thanks
Peter

I always have an opinion :D :lol: :lol: LMAO 8-) it's just that most prefer not to listen. :roll: Sorry Peter, that was the best invitation I've had all day :D

After watching numerous vids of exploding Li-pos (some on purpose, some not) is it really worth losing the house for a $12 battery :?: Or an AXN exploding over your favourite park (garanteed to get attention) Err on the side of caution, disarm and discard.

And well done on the 50 flights 8-)

Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: My contribution towards "Dumbest thing i've done this we

Postby quarry44 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:15 pm

This is one reason I only ever charge packs singly.I'm also surprised you were able to even plug a 3-cell plug into a 4-cell socket.They have 2 ribs on the back of the plugs,which fit in corresponding slots.
Maybe parallel boards are different?
Chargers are so cheap from HK,I bought a spare one in case the 1st one goes toes up,but I now use both at the same time.
quarry44

Return to Electric Power Systems