Super Sportster 60 electric convertion advice

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Super Sportster 60 electric convertion advice

Postby HornbyFlyBoy » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:27 am

I am a complete novice when it comes to electric and am currently baffled by the numbers etc when looking at brushless motors etc for aircraft. I have an old GP Super Sportster 60 that hasn't seen the light of day for a while and figured I would use it as my first electric experience but have no idea of realistic power options. At the moment it has an old .75 2 stroke in it. Looking at Hobby King, what wold be a good starting point for motor, ESC/UBEC, prop an lipo combination and why? Sorry for being a dummy here, but this real world example I would like to use as an education.

Thanks,
Sean.
HornbyFlyBoy

Re: Super Sportster 60 electric convertion advice

Postby bommel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Hallo Sean,

my latest conversion from an O.S. LA 61 was prop 12 x 6, motor 5055 KV 600, ESC 100A BEC SW 5A, Lipo 6C 4000 mAh 40C, goes like hell but will get noseheavy. A lighter version will be motor 4260 KV 600, ESC 60 - 80 A, Lipo 5C 4000 mAh. This will fit to a trainer with less problems getting CG right.

please report

Werner
bommel
also at AcesHigh
bommel

Postby pldb64 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:16 am

Hi Sean,

I'd suggest listening to the AllThingsThatFly podcast #207. It is specifically targeted at going through how to set up a plane for electric setup. From memory they'd done it for people doing gas to electric conversions too. Starts out by determining the style of flying you're going to use the model for, (eg 3d, sport, etc) to work out likely watts/lb required. From there it goes through battery selection, motor selection, ESC selection and prop selection.

I've listened to it about 3 or 4 times now and take something new away each time.

Hope that helps somewhere.
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Reaverman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 pm

I have an app on my phone,and it has a IC to electric convertor on it. Essentially you get the glow engine in cubic inches, and multiply it by 1250 watts. So in your case, you're looking for a motor with an output of 937.5 watts. Hope that helps
Reaverman

Return to Electric Power Systems