Odd event with HK 30amp blue ESC

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Odd event with HK 30amp blue ESC

Postby Shervin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:57 pm

I have a floater jet im retiring after this mornings crash. I had modded the plane man times and got over 100 hours of fun but its time to retire the old girl (very beat up).
I was trying to see how far I could glide with no motor power and I stalled about 5ft off the ground. Crashed into soft grass but when I inspected the plane I noticed my rudder servo was jammed and the other servos kinda moved then about 20 seconds later as I approached the work bench i noticed all of the servos died. ESC was fairly hot on the capacitor but the heatsink was warm/hot not as bad as the capacitor.
I tried other servos from my toolbox and they all worked... But all 4 servos on the plane (orange hk) failed and I cant figure out why.... all of them would move by hand as if not powered except the rudder servo.. it would resist a little bit if i moved it by hand. I figured maybe theres some short i removed the rudder servo and even tried each servo individually and other channels... no go. But my servos in my tool box work...

Should i blame the ESC? I was planning to put this ESC in my new Funfighter T-28 that is coming in the mail soon but now im not so sure if i can trust it.

Many thanks.
Shervin

Re: Odd event with HK 30amp blue ESC

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:03 am

Since the source of voltage and hence over voltage to your RX and servos is the speed controller bec there is no other reasonable explanation than that it is the cause.
The jolt of the crash caused a temporary short circuit in the BEC part.
Don't try to use it again bin it it could destroy your RX as well as all your new servos.
You are lucky your RX is still working, get a new speed controller and a separate switched mode BEC to run the RX and servos, or a speed controller with a built in switch mode bec.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Re: Odd event with HK 30amp blue ESC

Postby Shervin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks, i figured as much. I did get lucky. I ordered 2 of these Turnigy 25amp ESCs that can handle more amps.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17135
It does have a linear bec but I figured for the Funfighter/SkyAngel T28 the servos are small and shouldnt really be a problem with the bec. what I wanted was a plush but they didnt have them in stock and I settled for these with a programming card.
I plan on using 3s anyway since i have 8 3s 800mAh lipos. But with this esc 4s is always an option. I dont think I could handle the speed of 4s.
Shervin

Return to Electric Power Systems