Redundancy Receiver Battery Build - Help

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Redundancy Receiver Battery Build - Help

Postby ateloh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 pm

I have been looking online for a cheap / easy install setup, for a redundancy battery backup for your receiver.

I have even looked for build videos, and or cheap alternative systems out there and I only really found one (scorpion backup guard $25US).

I saw Bruces build video of a A123 RC receiver pack.

I was wondering if it was possible to build upon this to enable it to do what the "Scorpion Backup Guard" does.

In theory it sounds pretty simple and basic from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5LSfMPuQB0 and in a few reviews in how it works.

I was also thinking it could be a good how to video for an episode.

Unfortunately I am very fresh to electric rc and still coming to grips to all the terminology as it has all changed since 13 years ago, but it seems like a good idea to have some light weight rx redundancy system, if your receiver is powered (via ubec) via your motors lipo battery pack.
ateloh

Re: Redundancy Receiver Battery Build - Help

Postby cynr100 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:18 am

I'm leaning towards a power supply for my RX, servos and ancillary gear leaving the main pack to look after the motor only.
My theory being that if the Rx pack lasts twice as long as the motor pack (in say normal flight) I would run out of motive power before controlling power.
For small foamies (AXN, Bixler) the advantage of redundancy would be outweighted by the weight gain. You can ensure you still have control power by programming the ESC for say "soft cut" at "mid voltage" so if you run out of motive power you will still have enough controlling power.
Receiver packs would only be required to be 2S (7.4V), you would still require a SBEC to reduct voltage to 5V. Unless of course your system requires higher voltage.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby ateloh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:54 am

Thanks for your reply. I like your approach which is good and is certainly feasible as a solution and gives me security.

The time I last flew was 2000 and that was on a hitec prism 7x. a time before 2.4Ghz, lipo and heavy draw demands. I have a bit of setup purchasing to do.

Personally speaking I won't be requiring a high voltage system. I purchased a cheap glider a skylark (on back order) from hobbyking, which had good user feedback on rcmodelscout.com . For me what you put forward would work.

The idea of a DYI rx redundancy battery hack (if simple), I was hoping it would help others who would like to have a RX redundancy system at hand to power basic RX, servos and essential ancillary gear (auto pilot/ RTL etc) in a near end game situation (ie battery / ubec dies).

Think of it as a very miniature UPS for essentials onboard rc components.
ateloh

Postby cynr100 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm setting up my Finwing Penguin for FPV at the moment and I will be running a 3s 4500mAh batt for the motor and a 3s 1000mAh batt for the Rx,Vtx,OSD, 3 x 19g servos and 1 x 9g servo.
When I'm happy with the final install I will run a test on the control power usage and post my results. I'm confident that the 1000mAh will run the systems for longer than the motor pack but need to check the draw, Vtx get warm which means power drain.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to Electric Power Systems