AXN motor max amps

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

AXN motor max amps

Postby hohocc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:31 am

I've just finished an AXN, no flights yet, bit much wind around at the moment.
Out of interest I put a wattmeter on it and with a 3s 2200 lipo and standard 5x5 prop the current draw shows as a whisker under 21 amps. No problem ESC wise as I've got the HK 25-30 amp ESC Bruce suggests, but from looking at the HK website it says the motor has a max current of 18 amps.
Are AXN motors overly prone to burning out as this might suggest? Or is the 18a limit a bit conservative and they are fine unless you only ever use full power?
I read somewhere with a 6x5 which Bruce mentions in his video on improving the AXN for $1 that the draw is 26 amps. How well does the motor fare when this prop is used?
Thanks!
hohocc

Re: AXN motor max amps

Postby cynr100 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 am

I have 4 AXN motors gathered over a period of time, all are abused and still running, one is in a Bixler with a 6x4 3 blade, 30A ESC and will do ground launches with 50% throttle. I have used various props from 5x3 through 6x5. My favourites are a wooden 6x5 and the polycarbonate 6x4 3 blade, the less blade flex gives the best result. Sometimes the motor is a little warm but never "hot". These are great little motors for anything that needs 1900 to 2200kv and the price is right, the only issue I've had so far is that (after numerous crashes) some magnets become dislodged, a little super glue fixes that.
If you tried to load it up with a slow fly prop you would have some issues as it is not a high torque motor.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: AXN motor max amps

Postby hohocc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:11 am

Sounds like 18a is conservative then.
Got out flying yesterday and today, have had 1 magnet come loose after about an hour of flying but the super glue trick worked well on that, thanks!
hohocc

Return to Electric Power Systems