interference

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

interference

Postby wldingrod » Tue May 11, 2010 5:19 am

Hey Bruce,
Have you ever done any testing on what interference eletronic speed controls give off,
I still think that one of my lockouts was due to the esc blocking the path of the signal,I moved the esc as far away from the RX as possible and has never done it again. :D
wldingrod

Re: interference

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 am

Yes, ESCs can radiate quite a bit of electrical noise and although it doesn't extend up to 2.4GHz, it can be more than strong enough to directly affect the operation of a receiver if it's in very close proximity.

The processor chips (microcontrollers) are susceptible to the inductive pickup of RF signals from something like an ESC or even a switch-mode BEC if the two devices are too close together.

Gas fliers have also discovered that sometimes the servo wiring (even long extensions) can pick up enough RF from the ignition to cause servos to act erratically. The magnitude of the induced noise is enough that the servo amps interpret it as control pulses.

So it's a very good rule of thumb to keep your receiver and its wiring as well clear of the ESC or other noise-generating parts as possible.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby wldingrod » Tue May 11, 2010 5:51 am

Chears Bruce
wldingrod

Postby Felar Furlong » Tue May 11, 2010 2:38 pm

my personal experience shows that cell phone can sometimes cause abnormal operation.
also switching bec can greatly reduce range of mhz systems if used without ferrite ring.
nobody is perfect. i'm nobody.
Felar Furlong

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Yes, cellphones are actually more likely to interfere with your transmitter though.

I wear my phone on my belt and when I used to fly with my Eclipse 7, I could tell when I was about to receive an SMS or a call because I'd get glitches if I was flying at the time. The cellphone was inducing noise onto the transmitter's logic circuitry and that was affecting the signal being sent to the model.

Doesn't happen with my other transmitters though.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Electric Power Systems