Beginner DLG craft

DLG, slope-soarers, thermal soarers and other craft that don't need no steenken engines!

Beginner DLG craft

Postby rhatch » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 pm

I recently attended one of those F(number)(letter) contests, f7q or something, where they were flying DLG gliders. I'm considerably older than the contestants and less fit than most, but if I could get even half the launch height that they were getting, I'd sure have fun with DLG. I'd like a knowledgeable recommendation for a first DLG craft. I could not possibly justify spending as much as $200 on such an experiment, but I might spend half that or a little more. I'm entirely sure I'll never reach contest-level competence, but I might really enjoy fun flying a DLG glider. If you're familiar with these gliders, what first try plane do you suggest?
rhatch

Re: Beginner DLG craft

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 am

Like you, I wanted to have a play with DLG but didn't want to spend the huge amounts that some of those models cost -- so I got the DL50 from Mountain Models.

For $79, It's been a great introduction to DLG and was quite a quick build.

In dead-calm/still air I usually get about 45-55 seconds from a launch and most days it's no problems to have flights of 45 minutes or longer from a launch.

Here's a video of my DL50 and me flying on a calm autumn evening.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Roger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:35 pm

If you are not so confident with your skills, the other model to try is the Canterbury Sailplanes Eagle, as far as I know it's the only EPP standard planform type of DLG on the market. There are the Alula Evo type gliders too, but their performance at thermalling is limited (well, it is here in NZ, our thermals aren't all that strong..!)
eagle here: http://www.flycs.co.nz/index.php?page=s ... &Itemid=55
Alula here: http://www.dream-flight.com/alula.html

Roger
Roger

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Owch! 14 ounces (almost 400g) is a *lot* for a DLG. I think my DL50 is around 300g and that's not light.
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:13 am

A note on the eagle though you can do some stupid things to it and it will bounce most of the time. However I think most people will quickly out grow it. I would think the DL50 is a good step however build is a bit more involved, but with most DLG's you will need to get used to putting them together and trying to do it light.

I have had a few goes on an eagle and it flies nicely and I have launched it into the ground after slipping. They are on the tougher side but at a weight penalty.

After seeing Bruce's DL50 when we visited Tok I am seriously debating a DL50 or a more competition level DLG. But the question is how competitive do I want to get that will swing the vote.
kneedrag

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 am

Hi Rob, have you Lam-film covered your Eagle? Also, I was thinking of doing a full-house version with 6 servos (including flaps etc)... when I can eventually afford one..!
Roger

Postby kneedrag » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:07 am

I borrowed cai's one for a few tosses, I still don't own a DLG. It is the one thing that is missing from my hangar so hence my watching trying borrowing and seeing what looks like it will last me.

Although this one is the alternative if I want to go comp level http://www.soaringcomposites.com/?page_id=623 or http://www.soaringcomposites.com/?page_id=292 when I actually save for one. ;-)
kneedrag

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:28 am

I put Roger's keyfob video camera on my DL50 and got some video. It'll be up on the RCModelReviews YT channel in an hour or so.

Even the extra weight/drag of the tiny fob camera knocked about 10 seconds off my still-air time.

edit: video is now up and online here
RCModelReviews

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:07 am

Cool, thanks for that Bruce... I'll try that idea about the faster card and also see if I can reflash the controller chip, no big loss if I can't get it working much better than that. It seems the light conditions make quite an impact on the video quality too.

Roger
Roger

Postby eclipce » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Maybe you could make the mimi DLG. It's a free plan. i've heard that here in the netherlands there is a special competiton with the mimi DLG.
eclipce

Next

Return to Gliders