Why I love my AXN (With Crash Videos!)

For model airplanes powered by volts rather than fuel

Why I love my AXN (With Crash Videos!)

Postby cheetor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:40 am

Well being a n00b to the RC hobby I followed bruces very handy build videos, and have had a ball with my AXN its just Sooo easy to fly.. almost flies itself.

So I thought, Why dont I do some videos. those people out there in the land of youtube will like watching me try to fly my AXN.... whacked a HK wing cam onto the back of my plane so you could see all the control surface action, without a second of thought about my CofG off to the field I went..... It was blowing a gale out there, littel voice in my head said "Hey man, you'll be fine, you can fly this AXN like a pro now!" and off I went

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFsM36farg8
Theres some before and after pics on my Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheetor5923

and some, shall we say more successful flying vids on my YT Chanel http://www.youtube.com/user/cheetor5923/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Check out the wing flex one!

Have fun guys
cheetor

Re: Why I love my AXN (With Crash Videos!)

Postby cynr100 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........... :D

Thanks for the vids, now I know I'm not the only one who yoyo's their AXN around the paddock. My 2nd AXN is now in it's 3rd rebuild. 8-) :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Andre » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:45 am

Mine is an ever-shrinking AXN - when I break a piece off a wingtip, I cut a bit off the other side to keep it balanced. Likewise the tailplane. So far it still flies, but doesn't handle wind well.
Andre

Postby solodare » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Hey guys, Im new to this forum so I wasnt sure where to post this so I hope im not stepping on any toes!.
Im getting an AXN but Bruces videos seem to be a bit dated. My question is, Do the newer version of the AXN have better servos then before when he made the build video?
I started to get the "motor only" ver, but the servos he suggested (the orange ones) are white now (I think). So what servos are you guys using? Im not sure whats what in the servo world.
Im good on the speed control as those dont seem to have changed much. Unless you all know something I dont. Thanks for the time and help in advance.
solodare

Postby cynr100 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi Soldare,
The orange are now white, they carry the same ID HK15178, with the HK15178B being the digital version (not required for the AXN). I have also used the HXT900 and Turnigy TG9e, they are all roughly the same price
and always get more than you need.
The only ones I had issue with are the cheapies that came with the AXN originally.
You will gradually learn to realise that a servo costing a few dollars more is a better investment particularly the metal geared , in my experience the better ones survive more crashes :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your ESC should be 25amp minimum, again you get what you pay for, I prefer the Turnigy Plush not had one give up yet.

Don't worry about stepping on toes, some of us wear steel caps :D and no question is too dumb that it can't be answered 8-)

Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby solodare » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 pm

thanks Dennis!
solodare

Postby solodare » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Okay, so looking back on the order I got the HK15178 (analogs). I just felt like the power drain wasnt a good trade off for me. Im very new and probaly wont see the diffrence either way. Right?
solodare

Postby cynr100 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 am

If you are running a 25A ESC with a 3A BEC you shouldn't notice any power issues. Don't be surprised if a servo just gives up, makes sure you check all control surface movements before launching and any unusual noises should be checked. I had a 15178B (digital) on my rudder do a left turn with no inputs and trashed my AXN, no excuses, no reasons, just did and I still use it in my "stick" models without problems. It did happen in an area at the field which Spectrum users avoid like the plague, I use FlySky/FrSky and tempted fate.
cynr100

Return to Electric power