New (probably a bit overpowered) 4S AXN build

For model airplanes powered by volts rather than fuel

New (probably a bit overpowered) 4S AXN build

Postby Manofmanynames » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 am

Getting ready to get our warm sun back from those of you in the Southern hemisphere....

After flying my first AXN a bunch, I am feeling the need for even more speed. For my second AXN build, I am thinking about the following AXN build -- any suggestions or comments?

motor:
Dr Mad Thrust 3300kv 1100w 64mm EDF Inrunner Motor 4s version (29mm)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=29358

ESC:
Hobby King 90A ESC 4A UBEC
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17531

Toss in a 4S 1800mah or so. Maybe a bit less for weight issues.

Cut off the wingtips and place carbon rods in them so they can be removable.

I plan on reinforcing the carbon wing bar by glueing in smaller caliber hollow carbon tubes -- i.e. 5mm in the outer 6mm and possibly a 4mm in the 5mm.

the rest of the build is more or less standard from Bruce's online axn vids.

Propeller? No clue here really. I was thinking I would try a 6.5 and possibly a 7" if I can get clearance from the airframe.

I was going to perform a little surgery on the belly of the craft and cut out a rectangular piece for access to install the esc further back for balancing the CG-- or I might leave the esc in the open air on the side of the plane if heat is an issue.
Manofmanynames

Re: New (probably a bit overpowered) 4S AXN build

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1WtEdFVO7k
all good fun but they were less impressed with the anticipated speed gain.

If you are looking for something that is easy to fly and will take all manner of power upgrades, try one of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _PNF_.html

Alot of fun, I upgraded mine from a 1800kv to a 3500 heli running 3s 2200maH, yet to be left alone with it as I am still learning. Check it our here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqE9rNydE8
and that was with the AXN 5x5e prop :D next flight will be a 6x4e 8-)

One problem with over powering the AXN is the line of thrust, at WOT you may not be able to recover from the nose dive unless compensated for an elevator mix or a thrust line change from the original.
Not trying to knock what you are doing but the "plank" wing can only go so fast. Removing the ends will give a better rollrate but you will need "power on" for landings.

Anyway, will wait to see your results I have a 4s 28-26 1350kv motor that could fit my AXN :o , could be usefull with a 6x4e prop for vertical climbs 8-)

So much fun can be had with experimenting, don't let me put you off :mrgreen:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:05 am

Yes I have to agree with young Dennis, the SkyFun is a much better bet to fulfil your need for speed and the wing-tips don't need to be removed to fit in your car or whatever.
Personally I fly a 63 in gangster look alike with a 15 cc glow to fulfil mine, does about 150mph yeaaa....
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Manofmanynames » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:40 am

Thanks for the advice. Nice looking model. Looks like I have another HK order to place!

while the order is in delivery, I don't think I'll be able to resist plugging that motor onto the AXN though. Assuming the model doesn't shred to bits on launch I will post results.
Manofmanynames

Postby cynr100 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 am

If you use the same motor mount centre, the best you can do without alteration is a 6x4e, that will give you about 8mm clearance for the fuselage.I would recommend the original 5x5e but make sure it is properly balanced and fixed, expect a disintegration if not (been there, nasty surprise :lol: :lol: )
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 pm

A flying buddy of mine has reduced the motor thrust line,so that it doesn't balloon as much under full power.I think you would definitely have to consider that mod with that much power.
All that said,I think you might be a little disappointed with the speed obtained.There's only so much speed you can wring out of the AXN.
I have enough trouble keeping up with the standard version :mrgreen:
quarry44

Return to Electric power