I'm all ears

If you've got a problem then you can ask here and either I or others will likely come to your rescue.

Rate Settings for AXN

Postby UAVman » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello Bruce et al,

Assuming normal mechanical setup of servos on an AXN, what are recommended rate settings on the radio for a novice? For basic flying should I use 100% rate on rudder, elevator, and ailerons... or something less? Should the expo feature be used? I have a Spektrum DX6i radio setup.

Many Thanks, UAVman
UAVman

Re: I'm all ears

Postby cynr100 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 pm

I don't operate a "Spectrum" so I'm going to assume that "rate" means degree of movement with 100% being maximum movement.

I you are new to RC I would recommend "rate" for RUD, ELEV be set at 50% and AIL at 75% with EXPO for all at 80%. THR rate 100% and EXPO 0%. Experiment with these before throwing the AXN in the air noting the movement of the control surfaces.

These settings will help you learn control in a calm environment, not recommended for any aerobatics as you will quickly run out of sky with not enough control to recover.

Height will always be your friend.

If you don't have someone with experience to coach you try "poweroff" testing. This is simply centering all sticks and hand launch into the wind at a level flight say shoulder height, now aim for a ground spot 20m away.
Use the ailerons to keep wings level and elevator to extend the range with out stalling, allow the plane to land. Doing this gives you a few things to look at, CoG is correct, any minor trim adjustments and how much control you have with rate & expo settings.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby UAVman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:45 am

Sounds like very good advice cynr100. Yes, on a Spektrum radio "rate" means amount of throw for a given control surface. I will be setting my second rates using your advice. I will also be using expo on the second rates. Have been doing some on-line research and now fully understand what "dual rate and expo" means. I think using these radio features will make flying the AXN a lot easier. I can always tweak the values once I have some hours on my flight log.
Many thanks for your comments!
UAVman

Postby Dave Pitman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:36 am

I know Bruce is busy, so maybe he doesn't follow this thread anymore?

Thanks.
Dave Pitman

Postby bryon6.wanadoo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Hello, I am still using 35meg radio in the uk and since receiver antennas are about 38" long I want to fit a receiver into durafly vampire, is it possible to make a whip antenna like they are fitted to the jet models as I am finding it hard to loose this length of wire, how can I make a whip antenna and will it work as well as the normal one,any help would be great that you, bryon.
bryon6.wanadoo

Postby flymoore » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:21 am

Hi

I have recently built an rc yacht (lockdown project) , I used my old turnigy 9XR transmitter with DJT module.....matched to a FrSky D8r-ii Plus receiver in the yacht....but this got me interested in my old plane ...this being where i had the old transmitter and receiver.......so i fixed it up and have been flycrashing it with great joy on perfectly still mornings.....however....I have to swap the receiver from plane to yacht...as i cannot find a receiver to pair with the DJT. I thought trademe might be a place people sell these old receivers....apparently not....any help appreciated

Craig
flymoore

Previous

Return to Help Needed