Moxie ESCs

For helis powered by volts rather than fuel

Moxie ESCs

Postby Szilard » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi guys.

I wanted to buy a new ESC for my 450 size heli, from everyone's favorite Hobby King but they're fresh out of the ESC that I wanted to buy, so I looked around and I found this speed controller:
http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_info. ... 50a-p-1485
Judging by the size of the thing it's actually smaller than the stock 50A ESC I had :lol: but are these any good? Do you have any experience with this brand?

Szilard.
Last edited by Szilard on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Szilard

Re: Moxie ESCs

Postby hakank » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:40 pm

Haven't tried Moxie but bought a XEN from the same place. No issues whatsoever.
/Håkan
hakank

Postby Szilard » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks Håkan, I'll buy one this monday and I'll try it first hand ;)
Szilard

Postby Szilard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:26 pm

I ordered it yesterday and they shipped it today. www.lowpricerc.com is much faster than Hobby King :D
Szilard

Postby suchislife » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 am

I have an older version (moxie competition series 50A with 3A SBEC). Have had it for 2 years and hundreds of flights, worked flawlessly. Not a hint of getting warm pulling up to 35A and four hxt900 doing hard 3D in a 1kg extra 300. Same programming as a turnigy plush/hobbywing pentium. Very happy with that one and still using it, wish I could find more.
It looks suspiciously like the new hobbywing 'flyfun' in shape and features, could be the same model.
The Moxie Competition series seem to have been replaced with the V series now and have more programming options. I will be trying one of these soon, just for the 4A SBEC and 2-6s rating. Hope the quality is the same.
Sopwith Camels Rule!
suchislife

Postby Szilard » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:07 pm

I love this ESC! Mine came with 4A SBEC and without a manual, but that's alright because I bought a program box with it, the one with the two LCDs. This is the first time I used a program box and it was a breeze to set things up. I set the START MODE to "very soft" and it's soft as advertised :) This ESC is very good for helis. I was surprised to see how small it is. The Sbec is under the heat-shrink like it was a daughterboard, and it's still much smaller than my old 50A which is crap and it developed horrible jitters. Now I know what's a good ESC like and what's a soft start :)
When the ESC doesn't detect signal from the RX a tiny red LED will start blinking and there's beeping too. It's not very loud but someone might think you're on a heart monitor :lol:
The wire which goes to the RX has one of those watchamacallit coils; now you know that I'm not as tech savvy as Bruce but that's an understatement :D
So anyway I'm happy with this ESC and lowpricerc shipped it very fast.
Szilard

Return to Electric Power