Turnigy 9x buddy box/simulator solution, but......

Helicopter-specific issues relating to the electronics in your bird

Turnigy 9x buddy box/simulator solution, but......

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 am

I've converted mine to use the FrSky system. The intriguing bit is here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/foru ... 973#132973

In the case of the original Turnigy receivers... apparently you can tap the PPM signals from the bind plug connection and run them straight into either the buddy plug or a USB connector and ultimately, your computer. However, the FrSky receivers do not share the same wiring and there is no output of all the PPM signals on any of the connectors on the FrSky receiver... but I'm sure there's a solder pad inside it that does!

Now, if this appears to be a shameless, on my knees, begging for help request, directed at Bruce..... well, you are probably right. I do have an old Hitachi scope and some feeble knowledge of how to use it, but I'm pretty sure my amateurish fumblings would be a far cry from Bruce's steady hand with DSO probe and a gifted 6th sense of where to look for the little bugger of a signal. Well....... that, and Bruce looks better on Youtube than I would, when it comes to the DIY video!!! :mrgreen:

At the moment, I still have one unconverted 9x that I could use for this.... but I also have one of the newer hack modules on it's way for this radio and would like to make the conversion, so I can use both radios on my various bits and pieces of broken balsa and foam, cleverly masquerading as flying (barely) airplane models. Modding one of my FrSky receivers would ultimately be the way to go.

So when you have a moment Bruce...... Bruce..... Bruce?!?!? Why are you walking away?

I'm just kidding...... I'm sure Bruce will be as intrigued as I am if he reads this, AND he finds a rare moment of nothing to do.

Regards

Christian apparently also known as Christina when I get fumblefingered..... <sigh>
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Re: Turnigy 9x buddy box/simulator solution, but......

Postby Shotglass » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 am

Shotglass

Postby kaptain_zero » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:30 am

Shotglass, you would appear to be on to something there..... I had to stare at the diagram a couple times before I realized that #8 which is not a channel on that receiver, does carry the full signal..... I'll have to wire up a a usb connector and see if I can't get it to work with a simulator!

Regards

Kaptain "I'm blind in one eye... and I can't hear a damn thing with the other one either" Zero
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby rogueqd » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:49 am

Hobby King sell USB simulator cables for about $7. Have a look in TX accessories.
rogueqd

Postby Coverdown » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:47 am

I use the special firmware for frsky D8R receiver.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1074
Coverdown

Postby westy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:51 am

Are you guys talking about getting a normal TX module to work on a simulator?

If so there are 2 ways that I know of ..... one by splitting the case and cutting the trace and inserting a 1K resistor.

the other is in the actual module itself ... which I prefer as no need to split the case. I have a small tutorial on this method here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mQOYm02I4

If I have my wires crossed .... I apologise.

Cheers
Westy
westy

Postby kaptain_zero » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Actually, this is about using an FrSky receiver hooked up to a second radio's buddy box/simulator port to create a "Wireless" buddy system and possibly wireless hookup for a simulator. I've abandoned the idea for now but if I need a buddy box setup, I will use this instead of an infernal cord tying the two radios together.

The resistor mod is only required if using the "original" 9X transmitter module. As I have switched to an FrSky transmitter module (hack version, but it's not important as the same applies to the FrSky plug in module), that modification with the resistor is not required.

Regards

Christian
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Return to Radios, Gyros, Servos