Which Gyro

Helicopter-specific issues relating to the electronics in your bird

Which Gyro

Postby cynr100 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:50 am

I have nearly replaced everything on my clone 450 since it's first near attempt to fly (escape!!) now I'm looking at the gyro.
I have been practising floor scooting and have a constant left turn I cannot get rid of. Its not hard to control but would like the setup to be near perfect before I hover, the rotation would complete a 360 in about 20sec. Any trim adjustment I make soon becomes too little or too much, I have increased the "gain" to a point where the tail flutters but I still have the left turn.
Should a head holding gyro prevent this if everything else was setup correctly, the current unit is a Titan 720 probably cheap and nasty like the rest of the original clone. (I shouldn't complain this has been a terrific learning experience).
Is there a difference between "head holding" and a "head lock" gyro :? or do they mean the same thing. I notice on most of the gyros available that they have two controls on the units, how important are these and should a novice play with them.
I would appreciate a recommendation for a reliable easy to use Gyro or a suggestion That I am doing something really dumb with the unit I have.

Thanks

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: Which Gyro

Postby Shotglass » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 pm

thats normal behaviour for piezo gyros all of which are pretty much useless
the solution is to get a mems gyro the cheapest one i know of would be this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Gyro_.html
weve only tried it in a car thus far where it seemed to perform decently well but i cant really vouch for its quality in a heli
and youll need a digital servo for it but thats true for most gyros

more expensive options would be the futaba gy401 and the futaba gy520 both of which can be had used off ebay for about 50 and 70 euros respectively

cynr100 wrote:Is there a difference between "head holding" and a "head lock" gyro :?

no those 2 and avcs all mean the same thing
my advice would be to always fly in heading hold mode
Shotglass

Postby cynr100 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for the direction Shotglass.

I will now go and study up on piezo and mems gyros, hopefully this will also answer my following question:

Shotglass wrote:my advice would be to always fly in heading hold mode

Is head holding mode selectable and how, or is it a normal state when the gyro functions correctly :?:

Thanks again
Cheers
Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Shotglass » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:41 am

pretty much all modern gyros these days have 2 input channels with the second one being used to set the gain and whether or not you want it to operate in headinghold or rate mode
Shotglass

Postby cynr100 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:11 am

Thanks Shotglass,

Found a manual for my Titan 720 and my (Wohoo!!) Radio Link 6ch 2.4ghz, appears that the gyro is in head hold (AVCS mode)when gain is set above zero and below is "normal".

Going to have a play with this and the "delay" settings on my next round of floor scooting then commit myself to a new gyro and Tx.

Thanks
Dennis
cynr100

Postby kate » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Oh
Measure Volts on same pac
9x / Dx7 / Multi meter
10.1V / 10.9V / 10.84V
kate

Return to Radios, Gyros, Servos