Measure twice,cut once

Are you learning to fly a heli? Get some tips here. Experts can offer advice

Measure twice,cut once

Postby cynr100 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:11 am

The old carpenters adage is true with helis, you only have one chance to get it right before................ :roll:

My new Frsky module and Rx arrived and I was eager to instal, checkout and test on my mule 450 (my trainer and test bed).
A quick check to ensure all functions are working then out to the training area............... :arrow:

This was going to look so cool, with a smaller Rx I can now move the ESC and locate the flymentor in a better position prior to completing the scale MD500 :D

Throttle at 0, flick the throttle kill off and............................................... :o :shock: :roll:

DSC08474.JPG
DSC08474.JPG (150.59 KiB) Viewed 17170 times

Throttle was out of control luckily with 0 pitch and before I could hit throttle kill it assailed the fence. One pitch rod broken, blades are toast, one possibly two servos shot and an ESC :?: :oops: :cry:
There is going to be a long enquiry and a detailed strip down including the er9x settings, I either hit the wrong lever (throttle kill or idleup) and did not check if the throttle had been reversed by the new Rx.
Anyway lesson learnt, if the you think you have checked everything..........................check it again :oops:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: Measure twice,cut once

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm

May I urge restraint,

pin it down to the ground on it's first run up
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Return to Learning to Fly