Want to get into boats (fast electric)

Hydros, tunnel-hulls, offshore-racers -- chat amongst yourselves here.

Want to get into boats (fast electric)

Postby beau0090_99 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Alright,
I love full-scale powerboating and live in a region that is covered in lakes. I would like to get into fast electrics and was wondering what might be a good introduction. I would like something in the 40 mph range and probably about 500 mm or longer. Between a deepV and a cat.
Any ideas where to start? I have been keeping an eye on the boats that HK just released, but am put off by the cost of shipping. I like the Apparition and the Genesis.
Thanks,
Curtis
beau0090_99

Re: Want to get into boats (fast electric)

Postby Jhon-jhon » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Hey Curtis! just saying hello! (sorry: off topic)
Take a look at your old TX playing on a lake!http://www.youtube.com/user/jhonjhon101#p/a/u/0/WwdP-dVrCfU
Still work as a new! ;)
Jean-marc
Jhon-jhon

Postby beau0090_99 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Ho Jean-marc,
That looks awesome, how big is that seamaster? It looks electric and smaller than stock. Either way, I am glad the Tx is working well. I just now realize that i could have put in a FrSky hack module and converted it to 2.4ghz. Oh well, I needed more model memory too.
Thanks for the video, have a great summer.
Curtis
beau0090_99

Postby NOZ69R » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:07 pm

beau0090_99 wrote:Alright,
I love full-scale powerboating and live in a region that is covered in lakes. I would like to get into fast electrics and was wondering what might be a good introduction. I would like something in the 40 mph range and probably about 500 mm or longer. Between a deepV and a cat.
Any ideas where to start? I have been keeping an eye on the boats that HK just released, but am put off by the cost of shipping. I like the Apparition and the Genesis.
Thanks,
Curtis

I've just brought an Apparition and its seems very good nice hardware, although I think the ECS isn't the best. I've only run it on 3S which it is lacking in speed it stock motor is a 1520kv so it needs some volts. I'm waiting for my new 2S's to come so I can it on 4S. I got mine off Ebay for $298AU delivered with the Flysky GT2 2.4ghz radio. I was thinking of getting mine from KK but it was going to cost the same without the radio, so Ebay was the logical choice & I got it in 2 days.

The Genisis is also nice but with its stock set up it really "eats" the batteries, my mates 5000's only last 3.5 minutes :o

Cheers
NOZ69R

Postby propfella » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:04 am

Gee, you don't want much do you :-)
500mm is rather small and 40mph is pretty slow. Just about any decent stock boat straight out of the box will run at that speed. I'm not being rude, usually newcomers to boating especially if young want triple digit speed and 5 foot long. R2Hobbies have a fair range and if you watch their videos the boats will travel at that speed. Please, I beg of you, DON'T buy Hobbyking's F1 Tunnel. It's an absolute heap of garbage. It's that bad I've spent twice as much rebuilding it as the darned thing cost in the first place. Burnt out ESCs and motors. At least with R2Hobbies all the boats are fitted with the right gear to do the job and better. If you become a member first you get a 10% discount too.

There are plenty of boats available which will fit your needs. A bigger boat is more stable and are usually designed to take a pounding if the lake surface is choppy. Obviously the larger the boat the more power you need although I sell a 3 foot Hull which is extremely light but has the strength. It's designed by young engineer in Hong Kong and I bought one of his hulls and was so impressed I became the sole Aussie supplier. I'm actually waiting for his new hull to finish trials and I will buy a few to see how they go. This isn't an ad by the way. I have only a couple left and it looks like they're sold but check out Ebay. Try to stick to new stuff. Used boats are easily palmed off on Ebay and suffer from many hidden dangers but the new ones are OK.

Have a good look around. See what people are talking about on boating forums. You'll know when you see the one for you and when you do don't feel bad about joining a few boating forums and ask as many quiestions about the boat as possible. Good Luck and happy future boating.
propfella

Postby brett657 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:34 am

These boots are looking interesting but i searched and read that the experiences and opinions of racers that have been running that particular rc boot and i conclude that these are hard to handle because if the people who had experience found it hard to handle it then there is a great chance of it so it's better to be careful.
Brett Wilson
Find more info at Nitrotek.nl
brett657

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:13 pm

BRET657 is a gibbering BOT........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linking to this site http://www.nitrotek.nl/rc-straaljagers.html
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Return to Hi-speed craft