Futaba buddy box system

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Futaba buddy box system

Postby hohocc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:57 pm

My main Tx that I expect to use to get flying again after a big break is a Futaba 7UAPS, and once I get some degree of competence/confidence back I'd like to get a buddy arrangement to let my son have a go too.
Does anybody out there know if I'll need to track down another 7U Tx to buddy with, or will any other Futaba(or other brand) Txs buddy with it? If I need another 7U then it may well be easier to buy a couple of Turnigy 9xs and leave the 7U in retirement.
Thanks.
hohocc

Re: Futaba buddy box system

Postby quarry44 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Sorry,Craig,I forgot about that part of your question previously.If your other Futaba tx has the same trainer port,you'll be set.If it has a different style of port,you may have to make up a special conversion lead.I,ve never done the buddylead thing,so maybe someone can offer more info on it.
quarry44

Postby hohocc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks Hans. Unfortunately the other Futaba tx has no trainer port so I expect I'll put it and its rx on trademe and maybe someone can get some use out of it, I imagine it won't be all that hard to track down another Futaba tx that has the correct trainer port, and I don't need the student tx to have the full 7 channels, 4 will do the job nicely.
So if anybody has any interest in a "retro" Futaba 8AP tx/charger/R118GP rx PCM 35.550 in its original box I may be able to help, even better if they have a Futaba tx to buddy with the 7UAPS we could do some sort of swap!
Craig
hohocc

Postby straycat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 pm

I use a futaba T7CP ( upgraded to 2.4 with Corona D.I.Y Module ) and a Futaba T6EXAP ( also upgraded ) , both have the square ports , easy to connect , once the Master is turned on the slave turns on also, getting power from the Master Tx . you still have to setup the slave to match the masters model settings though .( ie reverse servos etc )
straycat

Postby hohocc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 am

I ended up picking up a futaba 9cap and a square to round futaba buddy lead to use with my 7uaps (and got frsky modules for them both), all working well and my son is enjoying his first couple of tastes of rc flying.
Thanks for the info!
hohocc

Return to Radios and Servos