What receivers will work with my new 2.4GHz radio?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

What receivers will work with my new 2.4GHz radio?

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 pm

"What receivers will work with my new 2.4GHz radio?" is a question I see asked over and over on various forums so I'm making this post a sticky that will hopefully help-out.

Unfortunately, 2.4GHz is very much like PCM insomuch as there is no inter-brand compatibility.

If you have a Futaba FASST radio then you're stuck buying Futaba FASST receivers, nothing else will work.

Likewise, if you have a Hitec 2.4GHz radio, only Hitec's Optima receivers will do the job.

There is some compatibility between JR's 2.4GHz systems and Spektrum (at least in the USA). In many regions, JR are using Spektrum's DSM2 system and that means you can use a Spektrum receiver with your JR radio -- but that's it.

I know that many who have bought Spektrum, JR, Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and other "brand name" radios look longingly at the cheap Chinese-made receivers that often sell for as little as a fifth the price of the ones they're now using. Unfortunately, you can't use these Corona, FrSky, Assan, Fly-Dream, Turnigy or other receivers with your expensive radios -- they just won't work.

Of course if you have a module-based radio you can fit a matching Chinese-brand transmitter module and then take advantage of the lower prices but increasingly, modern radios are being sold without any module capabilities.

I suggest you read this article for some more insight: How compatible are 2.4GHz RC systems?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: What receivers will work with my new 2.4GHz radio?

Postby Andrej » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:05 am

Are the transmitting modules inter-brand compatible. Is the transmitter-module interface standardized ?
And could i put DSSS module in the new Turnigy 9X (it's just PCM/PPM with default module) ?

Sorry to ask these questions, it's all so confusing, but i want to make sure i get it right...

P.S. Can't wait for your review :)
Andrej

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:11 am

There are two standards for modules:

JR and Futaba/Hitec

Transmitters that use the JR-standard include the Turnigy 9X, although there are some minor differences that mean a geniune JR module (made by JR) may not work in your Turnigy.

However, when it comes to the 2.4GHz add-on modules, the 9X will work with all the JR-compatible modules I have tested (Assan, Corona, FlyDream, FlySky, etc). Of course when it comes to the modules (and matching receivers), some work better than others.

The Turnigy 9X version 2 now comes with a 2.4GHz module and 8-channel receiver which I'll be testing and reviewing in the next day or so.
RCModelReviews

Postby errsemr » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:19 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:There are two standards for modules:

JR and Futaba/Hitec

With a little caveat: The JR 12X uses a separate type of module.
errsemr

Postby Andrej » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 pm

hmm i see...
So if i get this right, a TX can support a JR or a Futaba/Hitec module (not both)
Either one of these modules can have any kind of distribution and encoding of a signal (DSSS, FHSS, PPM or PCM), the TX unit doesn't really know which one is being used.
correct ?
Andrej

Postby errsemr » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:49 pm

The TX itself will know the difference between PPM and PCM, but will not know about 2,4GHz encodings. When a 2,4GHz module is used the TX will treat it as PPM unless the TX is designed especially for 2,4GHz (like the JR 12X and I believe the Futaba 10C).
errsemr

Postby jeffie8696 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:10 pm

I have a Corona CR8D receiver will it work with any of the other non "big name" transmitters? Or will it only work with the Corona modules which I can not use because I have no module ready transmitters.
Unless I get a good DIY module back from Hobbyking and install it.
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Corona receivers only work with Corona transmitters -- although I have heard of a couple of rebranded Corona products (KDS?) that may work.

They certainly won't work with Futaba FASSt or Spektrum/JR DSM radios.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:53 am

I didnt think there was any chance it would work with any of the big name radios which I cant afford anyway. Was hoping it would work with a Turnigy. That I might be able to swing some day.
jeffie8696

Postby Roger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:01 am

Perhaps I might wade in here...
early on there were reports that some of the HK6x and 7x Hobbyking transmitters worked with the Corona DSSS receivers, however I had a customer buy one (receiver) from me recently to attempt to bind with his later model HK 6 and 7x transmitters and he could not get the receivers to bind.
So as far as I know, the Corona receivers only bind with the Corona DSSS modules or DIY kits. The DIY kits are good, but there have been a few with faults, if you do get one, look up the Corona website in China and search their contact page - then Skype Owen Lee, he should be able to sort you out for a repair or replacement if you have a faulty unit. Normal post from New Zealand here takes about 2 weeks and is only about $5-10 NZ so I imagine it shouldn't be too bad from most other places around the globe. Notes though, the modules don't like having power applied in reverse and some of the earlier ones didn't work with negative shift PPM signals - still have to confirm this is no longer the case, but I am told they now work with both positive and negative shift signals. Definitely use an oscilloscope to make sure you have the right wires going to the right places, and don't power up the module until the aerial wire is properly connected to the board and the aerial is screwed onto the fitting, check the continuity of the sheath and the centre core with a multimeter on diode test mode... centre pin of screw connector is the centre core of the coaxial wire, the outer (screw section) is the outer sheath of the wire, and the two must not be bridged.
Roger

Next

Return to Radios and Servos