Orange receivers?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Orange receivers?

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Its April,
jeffie8696

Postby Flash1940 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 pm

jeffie8696 wrote:Its April,

If I had as many irons in the fire as Bruce.....I'm sure I wouldn't do any where near as good as he does. He's into the video production activity both for this forum and Xjet. I'm just happy to benefit from his years of experience and electronics expertise. Patience is difficult for most of us.....but I think in this case a little is in order for all of us. Here's a video that may be of interest to some.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRyOXDGgIh8

Flash

Flash1940

Postby jeffie8696 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:06 am

Bruce knows i am just giving him a hard time :lol:
So tell me, what was the bottom line to the receiver test with the range test? The Orange park flyer receivers work OK right?
jeffie8696

Postby Flash1940 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 pm

"The Orange park flyer receivers work OK right?"

Yes.....They bind OK and work just fine....they are a bit slow to re-bind if there's a brown out experienced....and also they have NO fail-safe feature. I use the Turnigy ESC's and the throttle goes to zero during a brown-out. For short range park flyer applications....they seem to be OK. Do not put one in a model that may go over 1000 feet away. No glider applications.
For a Slow Stick at a football field is just fine. This is my application....and I haven't had the first glitch. The video I posted was just a rather crude....but effective method of range checking in your shop. Looked pretty good to me. One thing for sure....the orange receivers are priced right.....I have three of them.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby andy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:48 am

has the orange dsm2 recievers been reviewed yet? I don't think I can see the review on the website... Looking forward to it though.
andy

Postby andy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:54 am

Has the review on these orange dsm2 receivers been compelted and posted yet? I couldn't find it on the website.
andy

Postby Brett » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 am

Hi Bruce et al,

was a review ever done on the OrangeRX DSM2 lineup from HK? Its been a long time since the 6Ch was released and one of my burning questions was "does the satellite option on the 6Ch actually provide the additional signal coverage as experienced on the original products?"

I had the reason to revisit this question recently and in my own tests I strongly suspected the sat did not assist at all. Finally I stumbled upon this Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XUkbpUCgE

Looks like a clever way of testing using 2 radios.
Can you confirm this way of testing is as conclusive as it looks? ie. If you have a 6Ch O-RX, you are wasting time adding a satellite.

The tester goes on to say the 9Ch OrangeRX works fine with the satellites using this testing technique. This supports my experience too doing shielded ground tests.

Another interesting fact in my testing regards the binding of two different type OrangeRXs to the one model setting on one TX (a DX8).
The 4 & 6Ch RXs will bind happily together (great for a 360 FPV setup I have where the camera turntable can spin continually controlling the vertical axis with the 4ch. The 6ch controls the panning and vehicle)
Neither the 4 or 6ch will co-exist with the 9ch. They bind up OK but the channels are mixed up and often only work 50% of their range of movement.
Can you explain why this is?

With Failsafe, it appears the 7 & 9Ch O-RX have it on all channels, yet the 6 & 4Ch only have a "default to zero" throttle psuedo failsafe.

Hope to see a review on some of these. I know DSM2 is not a favourite, but a lot of RCers have them. Would be good to get some facts out there.

cheers
Brett

Postby Aussie Joe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Brett wrote:Hi Bruce et al,

was a review ever done on the OrangeRX DSM2 lineup from HK? Its been a long time since the 6Ch was released and one of my burning questions was "does the satellite option on the 6Ch actually provide the additional signal coverage as experienced on the original products?"

I had the reason to revisit this question recently and in my own tests I strongly suspected the sat did not assist at all. Finally I stumbled upon this Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XUkbpUCgE

Looks like a clever way of testing using 2 radios.
Can you confirm this way of testing is as conclusive as it looks? ie. If you have a 6Ch O-RX, you are wasting time adding a satellite.

The tester goes on to say the 9Ch OrangeRX works fine with the satellites using this testing technique. This supports my experience too doing shielded ground tests.

Another interesting fact in my testing regards the binding of two different type OrangeRXs to the one model setting on one TX (a DX8).
The 4 & 6Ch RXs will bind happily together (great for a 360 FPV setup I have where the camera turntable can spin continually controlling the vertical axis with the 4ch. The 6ch controls the panning and vehicle)
Neither the 4 or 6ch will co-exist with the 9ch. They bind up OK but the channels are mixed up and often only work 50% of their range of movement.
Can you explain why this is?

With Failsafe, it appears the 7 & 9Ch O-RX have it on all channels, yet the 6 & 4Ch only have a "default to zero" throttle psuedo failsafe.

Hope to see a review on some of these. I know DSM2 is not a favourite, but a lot of RCers have them. Would be good to get some facts out there.

cheers

Hi,

As a DSM2 user (DX6i) and strong electronics enthusiast that video just did not make sense to me, somthings very weird going on in that vid. .
ALL 2.4gHz TRANSMITTERS should have there own "GUID CODE" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XUkbpUCgE)

My favorite Orange Rx was the case-less 6CH (black heatshrink on Rx in HK photo) sold about 1.5years ago,I have poked holes in clouds 100s of times with it.

Cheers Joe
"Photonicinduction" One man and a plug socket = Mayhem. http://www.youtube.com/user/Photonvids?feature=watch
Aussie Joe

Postby Flash1940 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Here is the latest orange RX..... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=20684 Anybody got any reports???
I have two of them with their satellite RX's. All bind just fine....I haven't had a chance to do any range testing yet...

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Allan Warner » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:00 pm

You could try checking out this thread on RCGroups for info on the 6ch Rx http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304286
Allan Warner

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos