Horizon relases DSMX -- it hops!

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Horizon relases DSMX -- it hops!

Postby Buzzkill » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 am

Well it's about time. After thousands of lost and/or crashed models Horizon and Spektrum finally admits their system is flawed, albeit in the fashion of releasing a new product. If DSM2 wasn't flawed there would be no need for a "new" system.

Sorry for being so angry but, I'll never buy a damn thing from Horizon as long as I live, same with XPS. Companies that sell flawed products and refuse to take responsibility for their problems don't deserve to exist.

Spektrum and Horizon has a "new" system? Great! Buy back my old one, replace the lost and crashed models and I'll consider looking at it. Until then I'll fly with rubber bands before I'll send my hard earned money their way. I recently bought a new Transmitter and receivers, what did I buy? I bought a Hitec Aurora9, why? Because to my knowledge (other than possibly HK/Chinese hardware) they are the ONLY big company with the balls to send their product to RC Model Reviews for a honest unbiased review and testing. Is the A9 the best? Probably not but, they do seem to be willing to put their stuff to the test in a neutral forum which carries more weight than Spektrum/Horizon bullshit.

On a more pleasant note, thanks for all the work you do on this site. It is the ONLY no bullshit site on the internet that hasn't sold out. Keep up the good work!
Buzzkill

Postby toolman79 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:02 am

Well Said Buzzkill, I feel your disappointed as I too have been a victim of what I now call Disaster Spektrum Modulation gen 2.... It's about time that something has been but too little to late I’m afraid, I'm enjoying my new A9 and can't see me going back the dark side of spektrum. I would also like to know what Bruce thought about the A9 TX not RF link as I really value his reviews and thoughts about everything he talks about he is a great resource for RC modellers.
toolman79

Postby Asad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:58 am

Buzzkill wrote:Well it's about time. After thousands of lost and/or crashed models Horizon and Spektrum finally admits their system is flawed, albeit in the fashion of releasing a new product. If DSM2 wasn't flawed there would be no need for a "new" system.

Sorry for being so angry but, I'll never buy a damn thing from Horizon as long as I live, same with XPS. Companies that sell flawed products and refuse to take responsibility for their problems don't deserve to exist.

Spektrum and Horizon has a "new" system? Great! Buy back my old one, replace the lost and crashed models and I'll consider looking at it. Until then I'll fly with rubber bands before I'll send my hard earned money their way. I recently bought a new Transmitter and receivers, what did I buy? I bought a Hitec Aurora9, why? Because to my knowledge (other than possibly HK/Chinese hardware) they are the ONLY big company with the balls to send their product to RC Model Reviews for a honest unbiased review and testing. Is the A9 the best? Probably not but, they do seem to be willing to put their stuff to the test in a neutral forum which carries more weight than Spektrum/Horizon bullshit.

On a more pleasant note, thanks for all the work you do on this site. It is the ONLY no bullshit site on the internet that hasn't sold out. Keep up the good work!

x2.
Asad

Postby Toumal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 am

RCModelReviews wrote:After years of claiming that straight DSSS was far better than hopping, Horizon have finally admitted that constant agility is an advantage when operating in a hostile 2.4GHz environment.

Well... no. They didn't really admit that they were wrong. In fact, they talk like they're the first to do that. Nothing changes the fact that they're the last to the party, they're 4 years late, and they state that DSM2 provides more than enough safety.

Honestly, it's the same thing JD did with XPS v3. "No no, v2 is perfectly fine and not broken, v3 is just even better"
Toumal

Postby VideoKing » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:10 am

I’m still looking at exactly how this DSMX system works, because the worrying aspect for me is that they are staying with wide band sequencing. This could possible mean that every hop of their system, can blank out 3 or 4 of the competitions narrow band signals.

I hope they have deliberately chosen a pseudo-random sequence that does not copy one of the other manufactures systems otherwise there is a remote possibility that someone flying could get multiple collisions in sequence which could cause problems.

I assume they have stuck with wide band to keep compatibility with the old DSM2 receivers but it seems an odd decision to make with a new modulation system, when all the competition uses narrow channel systems. This is why they claim they only use 23 channels to step through, whereas most of the others used all 80.

I noted in one of there videos that the claim was made that “their competitors” will have the same interference problems as they were getting at large events. Note the grammar, “will have”, not “have had”, seemed a bit strange to me, almost like a prediction, not a statement of fact.
VideoKing

Postby Andyone » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:19 pm

"Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:19 pm
Yes, DSMX can work with DSM2 receivers -- which is why I'm pretty sure they've done something *very* similar to DSMJ.

When it comes to head-trackers, I'm thinking that in all but the smallest models, the easiest way is to simply use one of the cheap 2.4GHz transmitter models/DIY kits to send the head-tracker info -- and a separate receiver in the model. Simple, elegant and completely separate to your transmitter and existing RC receiver. That's the way I'll be doing mine.

With the FrSky DIY available for a song and their lightweight 7-channel receivers delivering good range, it allows you to create a system completely independent of your actual RC system."

Does this mean that you aren't going to use 2.4GHz for the video down-link of if you are how are the two systems going to work with each others' receivers in the Tx's near-field.

A.
Andyone

Postby Allan Warner » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:36 pm

The way I understand it is that 2.4gHz video is a 'no go' if flying at a club field with other flyers on 2.4gHz RC. Your video (wide band) will interfer with them and their RC transmissions will interfer with your received video signal. Not a receipe for happy co-existance.
Allan Warner

Postby RyanNX211 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Does this mean I can peel the not for use in EU sticker off the back of my DX8?

Tom
http://www.thebuildingboard.com
RyanNX211

Postby johnkim100530 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:21 am

Hi Bruce,

Is DSMX same as DSMS/DSMJ developed by JR? Is Spektrum now using DSMS/DSMJ calling it by their own name?
If that is the case, JR will be a leader.

John
johnkim100530

Postby raptor22 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Buzzkill wrote:Well it's about time. After thousands of lost and/or crashed models Horizon and Spektrum finally admits their system is flawed, albeit in the fashion of releasing a new product. If DSM2 wasn't flawed there would be no need for a "new" system.

Spektrum and Horizon has a "new" system? Great! Buy back my old one, replace the lost and crashed models and I'll consider looking at it. Until then I'll fly with rubber bands before I'll send my hard earned money their way. I recently bought a new Transmitter and receivers, what did I buy? I bought a Hitec Aurora9, why? Because to my knowledge (other than possibly HK/Chinese hardware) they are the ONLY big company with thOn a more pleasant note, thanks for all the work you do on this site. It is the ONLY no bullshit site on the internet that hasn't sold out. Keep up the good work!

e balls to send their product to RC Model Reviews for a honest unbiased review and testing. Is the A9 the best? Probably not but, they do seem to be willing to put their stuff to the test in a neutral forum which carries more weight than Spektrum/Horizon bullshit.

[/quote]

X3

Companies Like Horizon need to be taught a lesson. The customer does not want to be lied to and stabbed in the back while shaking their hand and smiling.
DSMX is as much as saying hey heys we have no problem with the accelerator then they quietly change it and exclaim ehy everyine we have invented a new device, its called an Infinite Velocity regulator.
No thanks, doubt I'll be buying anything from Horizon in a hurry. Plenty of top quality kit to choose from: Futaba, Hitec, Multiplex, JETT.
raptor22

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos