Horizon relases DSMX -- it hops!

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Horizon relases DSMX -- it hops!

Postby lightbulbjim » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I would say they will. From what I've read, DSM2 system was too powerful for a non-agile system but now that it "hops" it'll fall into the same category as FASST. Hopefully they've added a setting for France, where not all the band can be used.

FWIW, I have a DX7 which I bought in the US and used in Australia before bringing it to the UK. I sent it to Horizon UK and they modified it to comply with the regs here (for free, because it's one of the early US ones that was accidentally given a CE mark!). I was concerned about the lower power output but they assured me that it is "still full range" and that the difference "won't be noticeable in practice", which to their credit is true in my experience.

I'll probably send it in to be DSMXed in a month or two. I doubt they'll tell me such details but it would be interesting to know whether it will come back to me with the same (10mW?) power output it has now (after being EU crippled) or restored to it's original power spec.
lightbulbjim

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

I think EU regs allow for 100mW on systems that use more than a certain percentage of the band on a constantly hopping basis so you should end up with your power adjusted upwards.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby heliloco » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:05 am

I'm glad that finally dsmx will be available to compete with the more robust sytems already on the market as you mentioned.
As I'm in South Korea and occasionally fly with a club here, I thought it would be interesting to see what the Koreans think of the hitec aurora 9 offering, which only 2 of the 60 members are using here. Apparently, most agree its a good system with many advances, however they are reluctant to buy the system and have been most critical of Hitec for what they say looks like a cheap plastic case, along with the latency and 1024 resolution. (are they related?) I even though the a9 looks better in person, they have a good point! I would love to see a more upmarket model with voice prompt for the various warnings, this way there would be no requirement to take your eyes of your model. The new technology becoming available and evening up pushes for the next advances via competition which is very exciting for rc modelers!
heliloco

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:31 am

I'm presently looking hard at the effect of 1024-step resolution and the reportedly higher latency of the A9 -- to see if it really is a factor for the "average" flier. I suspect not.

Is it a factor for the top 1% of competition fliers?

Perhaps it is.

Ultimately however, I think latency and resolution are easy things to put on your brochure. If all else is equal then yes, it's nice to have a system with higher resolution and lower latency -- but for most folk, there are many other factors which are more important.

Touchscreen versus scroll-wheel?

Dual sliders on the side versus a single knob on top and trim-type controls?

Black versus silver?

SD-card software updates versus plug-in programmer updates?

Expensive receivers versus slightly cheaper receivers?

Many factors -- which is one of the reasons the 8-9 channel radio shootout I'm doing has taken so damned long!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby lightbulbjim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:59 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I think EU regs allow for 100mW on systems that use more than a certain percentage of the band on a constantly hopping basis so you should end up with your power adjusted upwards.

Makes sense, assuming it's smart enough to lower the output when transmitting in DSM2 mode.
lightbulbjim

Postby aesmith » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 am

I think existing DSM2 sets are 100mW, that's why there's this "danger" of their being deemed illegal. The issue is whether a set that chooses its channels each time its powered on counts as agile enough to comply, as opposed to having to change channels dynamically. I the powers that be rule against it, only at that point would it be limited to 10mW and only for new products sold after that ruling.

See detailed discussion here .... http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,73700.0.html
aesmith

Postby Buzzkill » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:58 am

RCModelReviews wrote:You can use the same system I do -- I reviewed it here

Awesome. Thanks bro.
Buzzkill

Postby jeffie8696 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:48 pm

"Spektrum leads the way yet again with DSMX™; the world's first wideband, frequency-agile 2.4GHz signal protocol and the most advanced spread spectrum RC technology to date."
jeffie8696

Postby toolman79 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm

jeffie8696 wrote:"Spektrum leads the way yet again with DSMX™; the world's first wideband, frequency-agile 2.4GHz signal protocol and the most advanced spread spectrum RC technology to date."

Spektrum leads the way yet again lol... do you mean in how many planes or choppers have hit the ground since DSM2 was bought out? DSM2 disaster spektrum modulation gen 2 as I like to call has put a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths, let’s hope that DSMX really is as good as you think it might be. Up until now Spektrum radio sets have been good park flyer's lol
toolman79

Postby startrex » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:52 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Vid is filmed, just editing it up now.

Hello,

Is the video already available somewhere?

Thanks,

EDIT: it's here (sorry, I just became addict to your videos ;-) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGcyuezMik
startrex

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos