Turnigy 9X power output

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Turnigy 9X power output

Postby Tranworld » Mon May 30, 2011 1:47 am

Hi there,

I have read your review of the Turnigy Ver2 9CH and it says that power output is slightly higher than ver1, but you did not state the actual output? What is the output in mW eaxctly? and is it the maximum allowed in the US?
Tranworld

Re: Turnigy 9X power output

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon May 30, 2011 2:02 am

Unfortunately I don't have the gear right now to do an absolute power measurement but it looks as if the Turnigy V2 is outputting around 50-60mW which gives it an "effective radiated power" of about 90-100mW when using the standard 2dBi antenna. That's quite legal in the USA.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Tranworld » Mon May 30, 2011 2:22 am

In theory therefore if one can fit one of those high gain wifi antenna (omni directional) say at 4db then one can gain some extra range? This is only a theorectical question since I understand that the range of the Turnigy is quite sufficient for RC use (and I only use surface model anyway). Would appreciate your answer to this question to help me understand 2.4Ghz
Tranworld

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon May 30, 2011 3:06 am

Yes, a hi-gain antenna will increase the range -- but only for certain antenna orientations.

For example, if you get one of the longer (5-6dBi) antennas, the range will be increased when the model is to the side of the antenna but reduced if the model is in line with the tip of the antenna.

Hi gain antennas don't make extra power, they just squeeze what power there is into a different shape so what you gain in one direction, you lose in another.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Tranworld » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:32 am

I would have hoped that the longer antenna would be half wave type and are simply more efficient all round, that is it won't increase power but would broadcast this wave better by the fact that it has less loss within the system.
Tranworld

Postby Tranworld » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:41 am

Don't bother to answer the question above, I have perused through the site and found many answers, most of it from you, in conclusion there are two answers:

1 - There are no free lunches when it comes to antenna, high gain=gain in some places + losses in other
2 - Should not bother you since the range is more than adequate
Tranworld

Return to Radios and Servos