Frsky module in a Turnigy Transmitter v/s dx7

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Frsky module in a Turnigy Transmitter v/s dx7

Postby Winger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi all, yes I put a Frsky module in the DX7 and it works great(made a real radio out of it). I cut the back of the case to accept the module, and completely removed the old rf board.
now the question, need more channels, what would be reccomended: 9 channel turnigy, or?. to convert with the jr Frsky moudle. :?:
Winger

Re: Frsky module in a Turnigy Transmitter v/s dx7

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:57 pm

It's worth noting that the Turnigy radio is only 8-channels, not 9 -- unless you have a long-wire module that works with PCM and matching FlySky PCM receiver.

That's not such a big deal though -- because the standard FrSky modules only support 8-channels anyway.

The Turnigy is a great-value radio but it still lacks some of the features *I* really like for my larger models (such as sliders on the side of the case).

You need to decide how much you want to spend and what features you need in order to decide what's the best radio for you.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 am

I have to agree with Bruce. In other words, there's no free lunch. You must to decide what you want/need and then select from there. I love to tinker..... I'm cheap..... and I'm willing to take my lumps if things don't turn out quite the way I wanted. This pointed me towards the Turnigy radio, with optional open source and free software, the FrSky DIY module, and a requirement of me opening the radio and doing some modifications to make it happen. I am under no illusions about my choice. The Turnigy is a $59 radio, capable of providing (with optional, open source firmware AND closed source hardware) similar capabilities of say a $300 radio., But, it is, in no way, shape or form, a $300 radio being sold for $59!

Good luck on your project.... I wish you all the best, but please forge ahead with your eyes fully open!

Regards

Kaptain "You pays your moneys, and you takes your choices" Zero
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Winger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:34 pm

What about the older JR 8103 and converting to the Frsky 2.4 ?. Anyone done it? The 8103 can be picked up for under $100.00 used. The 8103 was a good Trans.. any other trans that would be good for conv.?
Winger

Postby Winger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 pm

Thank you all for posting replys. These are great forums and I really enjoy them :D . lots of good info..
Winger

Return to Radios and Servos