Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mod.

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mod.

Postby misterv » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:54 am

I recently purchased a 9XR and am concerned with the power connection to the recommended lipo.Turnigy 2200.3 cell fitted with similar connectors.
When installed the connector is a tight fit(as it should be) and you have to flatten the wires to close the battery lid on the tx.
As you have to remove the battery for charging, over time the wires or plug must fray and break down.
The fitted plug and socket is a 4 pin balance plug and I would like to know if the 4 wires are connected inside of the Tx. With my limited knowledge of electronics I can see no reason why all 4 wires would be needed as the power source is the outside red and black wires and the inner wires are only used for balance charging.
My suggestion is that I open the Tx. and confirm that the inner wires are not connected and if so, go to the source and solder on a servo connector and route it through the battery compartment, fit a corresponding plug to both this wire and replace the small 2 pin plug on the lipo.This can the be used for both power connection and charging.The 4 pin balance plug can still be used when balance charging.
Before doing so,I would appreciate any opinions on this.
Thank you.
misterv

Re: Turnigy 9XR Transmitter Mod.

Postby cynr100 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Unfortunately there will always be a size difference in soft covered Lipos, you may have one that is a "little" over dimensions.
All 4 wires are not connected only - & +, I don't like the position of the connector being mid frame, would have relieved you situation if located at the left hand end of the battery channel. I don't see any problem doing that if you feel confident, just maintain polarity otherwise magic smoke will ruin your day.

It would take a long period of time and countless charge cycles to "fray" the cabling, having said that the weak point is on the battery and balance leads can break at the solder. I have had this happen a few times on standard Lipos and have worked out a way to resolder without causing "scary flashes", to prevent further failures I fold the balance leads over the end of the battery and hold down with fibreglass reinforced tape.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries