Corona 2.4Ghz Two-Way Telemetry Comdo

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Corona 2.4Ghz Two-Way Telemetry Comdo

Postby baner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi At the moment I have the new supposedly Futaba 2.4Ghz two-way Telemetry Comdo (Module CT8FD) and (CR8FD Receiver) from Corona I have tested the way it locks on and in my opinion it is no more different in speed than Frsky, but I am missing the rest of the equipment to do the testing. I am wondering if somebody in the UK has the same equipment as Bruce does in New Zealand and if somebody would like to PM me I would be quite happy to let them do a full analysis on it.
Baner.Imagehttp://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/SaddleryRepairs/DSC00214480x640.jpg

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/ ... Telemetry/
baner

Re: Corona 2.4Ghz Two-Way Telemetry Comdo

Postby baner » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Corona 2.4GHz Two-way Radio System

Introduction:
Thank you for purchasing Corona's newest RC radio system with AFHSS 2.4Ghz two-way communication which will make your hobby experience more interesting and safer. Two-way radio systems add the new dimension of data acquisition from the target model, the receiver can send back a data stream containing information such as packet error rate, battery information, GPS data for example.

Overview:
Transmitter modules:
A) CT8FD
Compatible with following transmitters:
Futaba: 3PK, 3PM, 7U, 8U, 8J, 9C, 9Z,10C, FN series, T10C, FC-18, FC-28, FF7
Hitec: Optic 6, Eclipse 7, Prism 7
WFLY: WFT09, WFT08.
B) CT8JD
Compatible with following transmitter:
JR: 347 / 388 / 783 / U8 / PCM10 / PCM10S / PCM10SX / PCM10IIS / 8103 / J9303 / MX-22 / MX-24S / PX / 9XII.
Turnigy: 9x (JR compatible)
Receiver module:
A) CR8FD (8 channel)
Compatible with any Corona two-way transmitter module.
More receiver modules are currently under development.
Features:
AFHSS technology (Adaptive Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) provides high interference rejection even in an interference rich environment .
Quick and precise response.
Low power consumption.
Fail safe is available on the receiver.
Easy range check with alarm beep.
Dual antennas diversity.
Packet error rate of receiver delivery to Transmitter.
Good compatibility between all two-way Transmitter modules and receiver's
Alarm on events of receiver (poor reception or low battery voltage Note – this requires an extension display module / alarm unit)

Extended Features (requires an transmitter based extension module “dashboard” to display the communication data from the receiver)
(BILLY PLEASE CHECK...are additional sensors required for these features?)
Voltage / Amp draw / temperature status of the model delivery to Transmitter display module.
RPM of the motor on the model delivery to Transmitter.
GPS data (include Longitude, Latitude, height,speed, etc) on the model.
Electrical Specifications:
Transmitter module:
Operation Voltage Range:6~13V
Operating Current:<=50mA@10V
RF output power: <=100mW

Receiver module:
Operation Voltage Range:4.8~6V
Operating Current:<=50mA@5V
Sensitivity: -100dBm
Resolution:10bit

Receiver and Transmitter Setup Instructions:
1) Switch transmitter into PPM operation mode & turn off again. Install the Transmitter module.
2) Press and hold the programming button on the transmitting module, turn the transmitter on and then release the button. (Attention: Not keep hold the programming button down longer than 5 seconds, or its ID will change randomly A) The LED on the transmitter Module will flash between red and green color indicating the transmitter is ready to bind with the receiver.
3) Press and hold the button on the receiver and power the receiver on, first you will see the LED on the receiver will flash between red and green color. After a short time, the LED will light solid green, indicating the binding process is finished. Turn off the transmitter and receiver.
4) Turn on the Transmitter followed by the Receiver and check the result of the bind process, in normal operation the receiver will stay in green color, now you can check the servo controlling.

Operation:
For first time use it is recommended that you perform a full range check to ensure the range safety for flight at your local flying site. It is easy to do a range check when using two-way communication technology. Turn on the Receiver and Transmitter and wait for link up, to range test move the Transmitter away from receiver and keep moving away until the buzzer in Transmitter beeps. The range checked by this method is about 80% of the full range. You can also use this helpful alarm function in normal flight, when alarm sounds you need to turn the model back towards the transmitter to avoid running out of range. Remember that certain environmental conditions can possibly affect the range of any 2.4ghz system, such as rows of trees or long runs of wire fences.

Power down Range test:
If you have done full range check, there is an easier way to check control range.
With the Receiver and Transmitter turned on and linked, press and hold the button on the Transmitter module button for about 3 seconds, the LED color will change from red to green. The RF power output now is about 15dB lower than the normal status, and the range is reduced to about 150 meters line of sight outdoors. To return to normal power level, do the same operation again, and the LED will to red color again indicating full power.
Fail-safe Setting:
With the receiver and Transmitter turned on and linked together, push all the transmitter sticks to the failsafe settings you want on the model, then push the button on receiver and hold for about 3 seconds, the LED will change its color from green to red and last for about one second the come back to green. When this has been done, the receiver has been programmed to return to the fail safe settings if the link signal is lost for more than one second. The feature can be canceled by the same method, however the LED indication is different. The LED is normally green color and will turn off for about one second, then rapidly flash red to green.

Data Port Definition:
4 wire from Top to Bottom: Rx,+VCC,Tx,GND
4 wire from LHS to RHS: D,+,C,-
baner

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:53 pm

I have two of these receivers and matching modules which I'm testing at the moment.

I also had an earlier prototype which "needed work". I'm expecting the newer version to be better.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby baner » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:21 am

Hi Bruce, Absolutely fantastic for the feedback I know you are up to eyeballs in work just hoping that this is another reasonably priced alternative for the telemetry side well done.
Baner
baner

Postby coronarc.nz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:38 am

Nice to see that Billy has actually read my edit of his original instructions that he sent me...! He has left my original editing notes in the chinenglish file that he sent me for proof reading...! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did get a price from the factory for the new system and it is not all that much more than the current DSSS price. So far there is no DIY kit in production, but there is one planned for the future as well as smaller receivers and lower channel options, so far there is only an 8 channel receiver available. I have made some suggestions on the layout of other receiver options as well such as a top pin AND an end pin version of the 8 channel rx, and Bruce suggested that they also look at a high voltage rx option as well for running straight off lipos or lions etc. The ones both you and I (Bruce has my samples at the moment) have are pre-production ones and there will be some small changes made to the system after Bruces' pre-production review of the product. For instance the power down range test is still too far out (150m range) and also that the module should beep intermittantly to remind the pilot that they are in range test mode... plus a few other things.
I am told that the dashboard and sensors are in the design phase at the moment, currently the receiver does send back transmission data packet info so that if the receiver starts to loose range, the module in the transmitter starts to beep - very handy..!
coronarc.nz

Postby GerryGerry » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:06 am

Does anyone know if the modules compatible with the old (non 2 way) receivers?
GerryGerry

Postby baner » Wed May 25, 2011 7:03 am

Hi GerryGerry no it is not.
Baner.
baner

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 am

I have the latest Corona FHSS system here and will be doing a review of it very shortly -- including throwing it in the FPV model and flying it to the limit of range.

I previewed the first version of this system and it had a few issues -- they seem to have fixed those issues now but only the final testing will verify that it's 100%.
RCModelReviews

Postby baner » Wed May 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks Bruce I will go for this one then.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Micro-FPV-5-8Ghz- ... 3a6496f25a
baner

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 25, 2011 10:20 pm

baner wrote:Thanks Bruce I will go for this one then.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Micro-FPV-5-8Ghz- ... 3a6496f25a

OWCH! that's expensive.

The same thing can be had from HiModel.com for much less:

5.8GHz video system

That eBay seller wants to whack you with an extra 29 quid for shipping too! Sounds like a rip-off to me.
RCModelReviews

Return to Telemetry