How to solder 2.4GHz aerial

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

How to solder 2.4GHz aerial

Postby mogplus8 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:44 am

Hi all,
I have a project that involves putting the electronics from a Taranis into another case. (to make a single stick transmitter). I have a problem though in that the aerial in the Taranis is soldered to the backboard. I have found references on the net that say the aerial needs to be soldered to the aerial output (duh) and the coax shield needs to be soldered to ground. I have also read that the aerial wire itself, where it's soldered to the board, needs to be as short as possible, i.e. have the minimum coax shielding removed from it. Can anyone please advise whether all this is correct, or is it simply a matter of soldering the aerial wire onto the pad on the back board, and not worrying too much about the shielding.
Alternatively, is it possible to solder one of those tiny clips that come on the end of spare aerials onto the board? It looks impossible, but is it? If I could do that I could easily attach a cable that has the clip on one end and SMA connector on the other, then screw a stock aerial onto that, and problem solved.
All advice gratefully received.
;-) Ian
mogplus8

Re: How to solder 2.4GHz aerial

Postby mogplus8 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:57 am

Just an addenda to this, I have learned that the Taranis transmitter aerial, like the receiver aerials, is 26mm long, not 31mm. I don't know much about aerials but I'm assuming that's a big enough difference to rule out using a stock after market aerial, which will be 31mm long. i.e. I have to use a genuine Taranis aerial. Is t his correct?
Thanks
mogplus8

Re: How to solder 2.4GHz aerial

Postby Strela_999 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:24 pm

I'm interested in that as well! I'd like to change the aerial I have on my model for something allowing more range, as I'm soon getting some of this Portuguese property, where I'll have more space to fly around than at my in laws' summer cottage!
Strela_999

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks