V8R4 aerial replacement

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

V8R4 aerial replacement

Postby quarry44 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:17 am

Has anyone replaced the shorty aerial on one of these rx's with the longer 15cm one?Are they soldered to the board?The 15cm one has some strange sort of "button" on the end of it.I noticed the shorty is covered in some sort of potting compound,so I presume I would need to remove that.
I would like to poke the aerial out through the bottom of the fuselage on my Lazy Bee,hence the desire for the longer version.
Thanks in advance.
quarry44

Re: V8R4 aerial replacement

Postby funtana » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:48 pm

Firstly using the v8r4 receiver in a 48 inch span flying wing i have flown to the very limits of vision horizontaly and verticaly so range is not a problem and i doubt your lazy bee has a carbon fuz so theres no need to have the aeriel outside the fuz, sounds like your mind is still partially in 35 meg mode or 72 meg or whatever frequency you used to use, there has been the odd report of the v8r4 having short range but in my experience with these receivers as i have allready said i find the range more than adequate,
on the subject of the aeriel, the 15cm aeriels are a very fine coax cable, tiny version of whats used on your telly or satellite aeriel, that button on the end is a ufl connecter commonly used on routers and all sorts of 2.4 equipment, the v8r4 just uses a piece of normal wire which is soldered directly to the board these were very prone to snapping off hence the potting compound, if you were to solder an extention to this aeriel im'e not sure what the results would be but i have found the aeriel lengths on these receivers from the factory do vary so it might not be too critical however if you are really worried about range i would suggest you use a v8r7 receiver, these are only a little larger and heavier than the v8r4 and you definately have more range than you would ever need.
funtana

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks