field charger power hook ups

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

field charger power hook ups

Postby amtpdb1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:04 am

Hi:
I have just started using electric airplanes. I purchased 2 chargers to use at the field and at home. I converted a computer power supply to power the chargers at home, but my question is what is the best way and what are you using to connect your chargers to the battery at the flying field? I don't belong to a club so I was hoping some of you would give advice as to what you have seen that looks smart and or what are you using. I have a pick up and I was hoping some of the solutions might have extension cords of some type with suggested connectors in the solution.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Have a nice day and enjoy your flying.

Don
amtpdb1

Re: field charger power hook ups

Postby Malcurin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 am

i just pop the bonnet and connect it directly to the battery with the supplied crocodile clips .... nothing fancy here
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Re: field charger power hook ups

Postby quarry44 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:26 am

I don't advocate using the car's battery,as it easily leads to being stranded.(ask me how I know :oops: ).
I use a 7.5 ah gell cell,but am looking for a bigger supply,probably a car battery.If money were no object,a heavy duty commercial battery would be my choice.
I would have an auto electrician hook up a spare battery to your pickup's charging system,and mount it somewhere in the tray,with a cover on it of course.We don't want no steenkin' fires.
You could then run a connection straight off that.
quarry44

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks