FPV Groundstation Power Problem

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

FPV Groundstation Power Problem

Postby klexx » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:25 am

Hi there,
just found this site over youtube. I thought you guys could help with my Problem.

I'm trying to put together a groundstation (Reciever and Display) for my fpv system and I'm struggling a bit with the power supply.
My Idea was to use a 6S LiPo with 4500Mah, that I have laying around and to connect the Reciever via a BEC to it.

Is that a good Idea? What kind of BEC should I use?
Or should I use two separate LiPo's?

The Parts are:
G.T.Power 5.8GHz Wireless Reciever - Operating Voltage 7.4 ~ 12.6 V DC
WT-7RM 7" LCD Display - Operating Voltage 11.5V ~ 24.5V with min. 1.5A

Any help is appreciated!
Thx
klexx

Re: FPV Groundstation Power Problem

Postby cynr100 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:12 am

The LCD is a big power drain and the 6S would suit however the 6S has the potential to over power the Rx unless you install a UBEC that outputs the required voltage range. Most BECS output 5-6v, the cheaper ones anyway. It may be best to provide a separate 3S LiPo for the Rx and keep the process simple :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby klexx » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:17 pm

A single Lipo for the ground station would be easier to recharge, but then again, weight doesn't matter :) I'll try the extra lipo.

thx
klexx

Postby UAVman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:46 pm

I have a Boscam RC305 receiver on my ground station and a Fieldview 777 TFT LCD display. The receiver is rated for 6.5 to 15 volts, and the display is rated for 6 to 18 volts. I have run them simultaneously off of a 3 cell LIPO, and it works. The receiver runs a bit hot at 12 volts input, so I switched to a 2 cell LIPO. Now the receiver runs cooler. I tried running the LCD display off the same 2 cell LIPO as the receiver, and it did not work. I got a bunch of static on the LCD. Upon switching back to a 3 cell LIPO for the LCD everything ran just peachy. That is what I will stick with for my FPV ground station. I am successfully running both receiver and transmitter on channel 1 (5705 MHZ) with cloverleaf antennas. Good video out to 450 yards and I can probably go further.
UAVman

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks