Is there a list of upgrades for Turnigy9xV2 ?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Is there a list of upgrades for Turnigy9xV2 ?

Postby ken mccormack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Is there a comprehensive list of upgrades, expected out come, cost, bill of materials, ect. for the
Turnigy 9X Ver. 2?
Thanks in advance, Ken McCormack
ken mccormack

Re: Is there a list of upgrades for Turnigy9xV2 ?

Postby cynr100 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:59 am

Hi Ken,
Depends on what you want to achieve as an upgrade from your present system.
Not too long ago you could (and still can) do a FrSky module upgrade to enable use of the very reliable FrSky module & Rx's, from memory the module cost around USD15 plus freight add USD35 for a basic FrSky module and 8ch Rx. So you are looking at USD50 plus freight.
To go further you can install a Smartie Parts board USD35 plus freight to enable a change to one of the many firmware upgrades which gives greater model capacity and mixes. Also gets around the annoying low battery warning which can now be changed.
OR.............
You can purchase a Turnigy 9Xr for around USD50 plus a basic FrSky module and 8ch Rx for the cost of the above upgrades. This gives you all the benefits of the previously mentioned upgrades for less than the cost of the upgrades themselves.
Some links for you
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dule_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... II_RX.html

Here's a review of the 9XR, makes sure you followup to part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWYW2QYK ... FXSJQt37Yo
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Royall » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:37 pm

OK, new kid on the block here. I'm as green as grass but do have most of the new toys to soon be up and running. I do have the Turnigy 9x and have been planing to do the mods to bring it up to a 9xR. I was thinking of adding the FrSky module too but IF I do this, will I still be able to use the RX that came with the 9x system?

I do have the back light coming, and parts for the battery mod. Would like to have the ability to flash to the 9xR

Have patients with me and all the questions I'll be asking! I only post to one other forum but there are very few posters there. Great guys though!
Royall

Postby cynr100 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Does your 9x in its present form have the Tx module hard wired, if so you will need to do internal mods to enable the FrSkys to work and will no longer be able to use the original module or Rx.
You can not mix and match Tx & Rx units from different manufacturers.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Royall » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:00 am

No, this 9x is all stock with the hardwired module. Like I said above, I've got the back light co.ming.... that has to be a must! It is so hard for these tired old eyes to see that dim screen. I do like the idea of installing the circuit board for reprogramming the TX like the 9xR. As far as the module goes, I don't know if it is that big of a deal. I don't see FPV in my near future.... just too much money to invest and besides, I have a lot of flight practice to do before I throw that much money up in the air!
Royall

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:38 am

This is the definitive forum for 9x:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=95
There is also linked wiki's with instructions on how to do the modifications.
Bruce has also done a video on the module removal on this forum.
The 9x and the 9xr are different you can't make your 9x into a 9xr but you can make it do exactly the same things.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Couldn't have said it better, great link. The second "topic" is a must read for newbies to 9x.

Royall, just reread your first post and sorry I miss read it. There is internal work required to upgrade the firmware on the Turnigy 9X, if you don't trust yourself with fine soldering see this http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... e9c63e9cad a very "smart" setup.

Your Turnigy 9X comes with it's own firmware, good enough for basic flying but found wanting on expansion and some programming. To bypass rather than overcome these issues a new firmware, Er9X was born (http://openrcforums.com/forum/index.php ... 28a1e7e849) and subsequently a few others.
The Turnigy 9xR also comes with its' own firmware, a copy of the community's Er9x program, having dealt with a couple of 9xRs for friends I still prefer the Er9x firmware. I just love being able to plug the Tx into my laptop and make program adjustments for expo, mixes, curves etc etc with out getting RSI from hammering out the buttons on the Tx.

It is easier and cheaper to convert a Turnigy 9xR to one of the community's firmware programs than it is to convert a Turnigy 9x to do the same thing, with the only difference between the two end results being cosmetic.

I would stick with the basic Turnigy 9x until you are convinced that you have a need for expansion, as a trainer or first Tx it is capable to do the job.
cynr100

Postby Royall » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks cynr..... the way you explained it makes it easier to wait on doing anything more than the back light at this time. See if I ever get good enough to "need" to improve the firmware.

Big Mahalo to you!
Royall

Postby cynr100 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:18 am

Happy to be of assistance............. :D
cynr100

Postby JAmrich » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Greetings all, big time noob here on all aspects RC Aircraft. I have built a 250 quad (based off rcmodelreviews.com) with all the bells and whistles. Watched a review, bought the parts, installed equipment, so on and so on. Anyway, I'm at a point in my build that deals with my Tx. It's a Turnigy 9x V2 (backlight, FrSky DIY system w/telemetry, Matching FrSky receiver, LiIon battery mod) and there are two questions I have... First, during my battery mod, I was attempting to solder the 8.2k Ohm resistor to jump the 5.1K Ohm on the Tx motherboard, gave a quick blow of air only to watch the 5.1k resistor fly off the board. I thought, well since I'm jumping the resistor with another one, it doesn't matter. I then plugged in the battery to the Tx, turned it on, everything seemed ok except for the annoying beep from the low voltage warning buzzer, beeper, whatever with a readout of 5.9 V. Why would this be? Not an electronics wizard by any means. Can someone explain why that is please (3rd grade style for non-circuit minded people)? And my last question is I've done a ton of research about flashing the Tx with Er9X and am probably going to go that route. However, what is the best USBAsp to purchase? Not sure what I need to look for with the device. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me.

Jason Amrich
JAmrich

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks