Frsky Taranis: Possible to us 72MHz module?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Frsky Taranis: Possible to us 72MHz module?

Postby Khosravi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Bruce,
New to the forums here but have been a YouTube subscriber for several years now. I was wondering if it's at all possible to still use my 72MHz PCM module in the Frsky Taranis? I understand the Taranis only does PPM and PXX. My old JR10X that I fly FPV with does PPM and SPCM. With SPCM I can set the failsafe via the transmitter, but PPM receivers do not do programmed failsafe.
I know I would have to do some basic hacking in order to get an antenna mount for the old 72MHz style antennas, but not sure if the software would support it.

It would be awesome to still use my 72MHz gear with my new Taranis, as I'd really like to get rid of my older radios and just keep my awesome Taranis.

Thanks,
-Chris
Khosravi

Re: Frsky Taranis: Possible to us 72MHz module?

Postby quarry44 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:32 am

The quick answer is no.Your 72mhz module transmits on a single frequency,whereas,from what i understand, Frsky's ACCST continually traverses on 80+ frequencies.It's a wildly different protocol.
quarry44

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:10 am

Not sure if the answer is totally no, although taranis transmits on its native frequency module I believe the place for the module exists and there is a software option to stick PPM out on the appropriate pin, if you watch Bruces review he says something to the effect that you can be transmitting from the module and the inbuilt at the same time.
Open RC will have a hack for it I'm sure, they have already written new code for it. You will have a serious problem with the aerial mounting though!!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Khosravi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Yea having 72MHz PPM is definitely doable since the Taranis outputs PPM. However, PCM is a different story and after some research, I doubt it will happen.

Thanks guys for your replies. I'm going to finally switch away from 72MHz and just fly 433MHz and 2.4GHz.
-Chris
Khosravi

Postby coriolan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:42 pm

The Taranis has no FM antenna anyway to transmit signal other than 2.4Ghz with the internal module, the module slot in the back is meant to be used with a module with built-in antenna.
coriolan

Postby Khosravi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Yup, FM 72MHz PPM is doable, but PCM won't happen with the Taranis. Thanks guys

-Chris
Khosravi

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks