Help wanted!

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Help wanted!

Postby dean6553 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi everyone, I have just found this fantastic website so am a complete newbie!

My son flies RC gliders and I am just the taxi service to and from the hill so I know very little at the moment!

My first question relates to telemetry. I am a teacher at a secondary school and am just starting a club for students to design, build, test and race a single- seat electric race car against other schools in the UK. Please visit www.greenpower.co.uk for more information. We would like to build and install a simple telemetry device to transmit the current and voltage plus the temperature of the motor back to the pit crew. Any advice about how we go about doing this, together with suggested equipment and suppliers would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dean
dean6553

Re: Help wanted!

Postby cynr100 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 pm

High Dean,
Rather than go into a long winded ramble check this out

http://www.alofthobbies.com/telemetry-m ... splay.html

They are a good reliable firm in the US, I buy all my radio gear here and only takes 5 days to Australia. The product is one of the best around and is adaptable to any JR or Futaba module transmitter.
Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby dean6553 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks Dennis, much appreciated, is there a system which does not need an rc transmitter? Alternatively, I do have some Guyana transmitters but they are all 35KHz, do they work with this system? Sorry to ask so many questions.
Regards
Dean
dean6553

Postby cynr100 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:42 am

All the FrSky gear operates on 2.4gHz, I'm not aware of any system that operates "oneway".
From scratch a Turnigy 9x Tx with FrSky module, 6ch Rx and the telemetry package will set you back USD141 plus freight. If the students are using a 2.4gHz controller for the car I would investigate a telemetry system to piggy back on this. I believe Spectrum has a telemetry system adapted for their car controllers.
No problem with the questions, finding the right answer is :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby dean6553 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks. The student's wont be using any kind of transmitter, the cars are single- seat race cars that the students actually sit in to drive.
dean6553

Postby iflylilplanes » Tue May 07, 2013 11:59 am

How about a FPV video setup with an OSD for currant voltage and temp and at the same time you have a camera keeping an eye on what ever you want. These video systems work on a verity of frequencies and you can even hook up a GPS that can tell you where the car is, and the speed and direction. You only need an RC system if you need to adjust something.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby dean6553 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks, ultimately we could just use a PMR radio link so the driver can tell the pit crew but we are looking at different projects the students can get involved in
dean6553

Return to Non-RC