25mm x 25mm x 5mm fans for Turnigy Accucell 6 and sundry...

Have you had really good or really bad service from a supplier? Tell everyone here.

25mm x 25mm x 5mm fans for Turnigy Accucell 6 and sundry...

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:18 am

I've searched high and low for 25mm x 25mm x5mm fans to use as replacements in my Turnigy Accucell 6 chargers as well as a couple of switching power supplies from the same source as the chargers. 10mm thick fans are easy to come by... 5mm are seemingly scarcer than hens teeth!

Scanning the web and flipping through my last catalogs have turned up nothing....... Thoughts?

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Re: 25mm x 25mm x 5mm fans for Turnigy Accucell 6 and sundry

Postby Sid Sideslip » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:46 am

Mount a larger shrouded fan on the outside of the case, maybe use some easy to pry off sikaflex or something to seal things. Ugly maybe (maybe not) but will work better and be easier/cheaper to replace in future.
What goes up...better bloody stay up (until I say otherwise).
Sid Sideslip

Postby kaptain_zero » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:22 am

Sid, that would make for a capable "Plan B", but I'd really like to find some of these fans..... On the Switching Power Supplies, external fans wouldn't be very handy..... and besides, I'm trying to make them a wee bit more quiet AND keep the pretty looks! :mrgreen:

Now, my iChargers have much nicer fans... larger, whisper quiet and they only run when needed and only at the minimum speed required. Then again, I can buy almost 4 Turnigy chargers for the cost of 1 iCharger!

For the record, I have 2 accucell 6 and 2 icharger 106B+ chargers and I won't give up any of them. If I were forced at gunpoint to give up one or the other... it would be an easy choice... the iChargers stay. Still, the accucell 6 units are very nice and will do me nicely except for my NiMH where they fall somewhat short in detecting full charge.

Bruce, have you got a catalog that I don't?

Christian
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:38 am

See if you can find some old video cards that have been thrown out in the trash -- they often have little fans of approximately this size.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:25 am

I may be in the same boat here, which would funny if it wasn't unfunny.

Finally got round to doing the $8 Tx battery thing and am currently balance charging the two LiIon batteries with my new TReX charger (which I paid way too much for) at 1.2 amps on the LiPo setting.

The thing is, the fan isn't running. Anyone know if the fan in these things is temperature dependant, or are they supposed to be on all the time?

The charger is not even warm btw.

Also notice that I used hot glue to bind the batteries together and it's a bit messy. We had a little accident; the glue spurted out in a great rush unexpectedly...I also managed to glue the batteries to my keyboard, the bench and then my jumper. The dog blushed with the language that flew around. :lol:

Sid Sideslip

Postby kaptain_zero » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:08 am

Sid,

I doubt the charger would get hot enough while charging that pack to warrant starting up the fan. My iChargers won't spin up the fan unless the internals reach a certain temperature. I had a look at the data sheet for your charger but it does not give any specific info on the fan. In the iCharger configuration settings, I can select if I want the fan to run all the time or just when it gets too warm.. perhaps yours has the same settings?

I have seen several owners of the Turnigy Accucell 6 report that they just unplugged the little fan when it got too noisy and continue to use them without any fan, with no ill side effects. I would assume that doing a maximum rate discharge might prove otherwise though, but for charging, unless you are charging at the maximum rate, shouldn't generate much heat in the charger.

My fan issue is with my 2 switching power supplies (Hobby King ones). They use the same little skinny fan which only runs at full speed. I did find some 6.x mm thick fans that might work, but I think I'll check over at the EEV blog and see if someone can find the right size in one of their catalogs... doing internet searches isn't turning anything up.

By the way, that fan in your charger looks more the size of the ones in my iChargers and will likely be quieter and probably of a better build quality as well.

Christian
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby Sid Sideslip » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:27 am

Ah, thanks for that Christian. I'm very new to all this stuff. I kinda figured that the fan would only be needed if and when things heated up; it probably is controlled by a thermocouple. Certainly just charging the Tx batteries didn't warm it up at all.

Edit: Good luck with finding fans for your gear, btw.
Sid Sideslip

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)