First Time FPV help

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

First Time FPV help

Postby zaparoo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:53 am

I have become very interested in FPV flying in the past few months. I already own a 1.3 Ghz 850 mw tx and a rx to go with it. They both work fine, but unfortunately the tx is a lot heavier than I had expected(0.5 pounds with camera and 640 mah battery). I have considered planes such as the AXN Floater, HobbyKing Epp Fpv model, the Skywalker, and many more to hold this equipment. I just cannot seem to decide which suits my needs most. I basically want something that is easy to fly, stable and can hold a ton of weight. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
zaparoo

Re: First Time FPV help

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:26 am

With the heavier FPV gear you're going to have to look at either the HobbyKing EPP FPV model or the Skywalker FPV.

Both of these are larger models, capable of carrying the extra loads.

The first part of my FPV series will look at what I call "bareback" FPV which is the simplest, cheapest, lightest and smallest kind of gear installed on cheap/small models like the AXN.

I'm not a big fan of 900MHz to 1.3GHz FPV video transmitters when used with 2.4GHz RC systems because they can reduce the range of your RC gear significantly (from over 2.5Kms down to 1.3Kms with the 200mW 900MHz video system I tested).

5.8GHz video is the best solution for most applications -- if your country's regulations allow it.

In the bareback FPV series I'll use a $30 FPV video transmitter that is small enough to use on the AXN and has a range of up to 1.5Kms (or almost a mile). That's enough for most folk unless you want to go really long-range, which costs heaps more.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: First Time FPV help

Postby zaparoo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Wow, I will definitely consider a 5.8 Ghz transmitter! Heck, it would cost me $30 just to get a low pass filter for the 1.3 Ghz system, and who knows how well it would actually work! Plus, I have seen the AXN on your xJet channel, and it does looks like it flies fairly well.

I greatly appreciate your help, and keep up the great work!
zaparoo

Return to FPV