keyring camera charging?

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

keyring camera charging?

Postby quarry44 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi all.I bought one of those keyring cam's from dealextreme,plus an 8gb card.The instructions give no indication how long the 1cell lipo needs to be charged.Charging through the USB from the computer,I have no idea how many mah it's getting.Any clues?There's a huge thread on rcg,but searching through there is hopeless :?
I intend to attach it to my axn just for a bit of flight video,not fpv-ing.
quarry44

Re: keyring camera charging?

Postby Keith » Sat May 12, 2012 1:01 am

I have the #11 (I think) that shows a red led when charging. It goes off when battery is charged....
Have you tried this site...?http://chucklohr.com/808/C11/
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby kaptain_zero » Sat May 12, 2012 1:02 am

The 808 #16 that is most talked about rcg, and which is the one I have, rather than the DX one you have, has a proper charge controller in it and it will stop charging when full. When I plug mine into the usb port, the light turns green and stays on until it's charged and then the light goes out. If it's fully discharged, I think it takes around 4 hours to charge. Remember that all lipo cells are charge Constant Current/Constant Voltage aka CC/CV and the CC portion takes about the same time as the CV portion, but it does 80% or so of the charging in those first 2 hours, the second 2 hours will only add about another 20%. My figures are educated guesses, not measured, and I may be off on my percentages as well... But I'm pretty sure I'm in the ball park, if not the right ball park.
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby quarry44 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:48 am

Mmm,it was my understanding i had a #3,and when i plug it into my USB outlet the orange light keeps flashing slowly,as opposed to flashing fast when recording or in standby.Anyway,thanks for the input,chaps,to be on the safe side,I'll leave it on for 3 hours,and if it cooks the battery,well,they're cheap enough at hobbyking.
I did do a test video of about 5 seconds,and i notice that when you move the camera,it seems to take a fraction of time to "catch up".The still photo's were actually just as good as my Fuji finepix,which cost me $800+ donkey's years ago.At 2MP,it was the latest and greatest at the time!
How technology overtakes us is a continuing source of wonder to me.The keyring cam plus 8gb memory card cost me less than $20US.
quarry44

Return to FPV