OSD user reviews

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

OSD user reviews

Postby BarneyRubble » Thu May 02, 2013 2:01 am

Hi all. I am an absolute noob, Just getting into FPV. I am in the process of building a backpack. I aim to have a simple system up and running displaying on a 9" lcd screen. Once I am happy with the set up I am asking if the logical next step is OSD. I am asking for feedback on what units others are using please.
BarneyRubble

Re: OSD user reviews

Postby cynr100 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 am

Lots of OSD's available Barney, depends on what you want the system to tell you and did you want to provide for future expansion.
Something like this "nearly full house" will set you back $160 or so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hbLMSAqK4Y
then there is this for $10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8Iy0PEsy4

I'm starting out with one of these for $119 and allows me to expand into FY31AP or FY-DOS
http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en.php?id=24

A lot depends on your wallet'

Cheers
Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Keith » Thu May 02, 2013 6:35 am

I picked up a used Remzibi on ebay for $37 which is a good unit to start with and gives that all important direction home arrow. You can also move the info to where you want it and what is or is not displayed...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BarneyRubble » Fri May 03, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks for the replies.
The feiyu-tech looks good. I hear you regarding the costs of this stuff, wow it can get expensive, just like most stuff really. So I gather from this info, If I was building a quad, it would be smart to make sure the controller is compatible with GPS and OSD expansion. So is that where I should be starting my information gathering. I had ordered a KK2.0 from HK and upon further investigation it does not handle GPS , so while its on backorder I may cancel and find something that is expandable or just go with this as a stepping stone into a more advanced system later on? . I would like to hear from someone who has done all this before and could offer some advice on what they would do if they had their time again. Anyway, its fun learning about all this stuff.
Mark
BarneyRubble

Postby Keith » Fri May 03, 2013 9:28 am

Be careful with GPS units because they may need to be actually moving at a certain speed to work correctly. Therefore some will be no good on multi rotors as they do not always move around to much...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby cynr100 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Mark, if you are really going into FPV on a Quad "walk before you can run" ;) . Control and orientation of a quad or tri is different than that of fixed wing.
I have just built my first Quad (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2108&start=0) which is now in Ver1.2, with the help of specialty ESCs from Mongrel Gear I can now come to terms with the KK2.0 and am a long way from outdoing its' potential.
The KK2.0 at $30 is the cheapest way to get into multirotor and flying with some degree of competence.
Getting into multirotor board controllers with GPS/OSD/FPVB connectivity and you are talking DJI Naza, APM2, Arduino etc for not less than $300. quite a bit of money to have disappear (not to mention the quad itself) in the forest for lack of flight experience.
Anyway, that's my opinion. If you can afford it and want good gear check out http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/ I look at that site everyday and drool,. I want a TBS.....bwahhh,bawahha (insert feet stomping and head banging here) :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby rogueqd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 am

My advice is start cheap. With a quad you're already shelling out quite a bit for 4 motors and 4 ESCs. Just get a KK2 and the $10 OSD. That's all you need to fly around your local park and stuff like that. There's no need for a home arrow as quads don't really do long range anyway.

Make sure you get "SimonK" ESCs. It's cheaper to flash them yourself, but much easier to pay for pre-flashed ones if you don't know what I'm talking about. You'll have a load of fun with a sub-$200 quad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj8HmYIi0_8
rogueqd

Postby BarneyRubble » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:51 am

rogueqd wrote:My advice is start cheap. With a quad you're already shelling out quite a bit for 4 motors and 4 ESCs. Just get a KK2 and the $10 OSD. That's all you need to fly around your local park and stuff like that. There's no need for a home arrow as quads don't really do long range anyway.

Make sure you get "SimonK" ESCs. It's cheaper to flash them yourself, but much easier to pay for pre-flashed ones if you don't know what I'm talking about. You'll have a load of fun with a sub-$200 quad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj8HmYIi0_8

Thanks for the replies. I am halfway through a H.A.L. build. Going to put a KK2.0 flight controller initially, then I think will move to a APM 2.5. I think the H.A.L. will make a good platform and some tolerance for a beginner.
Have a Bixler2 on the go as well. The Bixler2 is finished, I am just admiring it before I break it :) also setting up my transmitter with er9x software, which has been a lot of fun learning the many functions. Thanks rogueqd for the utube vids "awesome". ha ha .

I must look into the Simonk flashing of the esc's.

Mark
BarneyRubble

Return to FPV