REAL Diversity penetrating 5.8GHz

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

REAL Diversity penetrating 5.8GHz

Postby stuwe911 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:23 am

There is lots of stuff about diversity Rx but hardly anything on the plane (broadcasting) side. All talks about dual or quadruple receivers but I found very little on how to setup the plane/drone.

Due to my flying environment I need maximum penetration and only medium (5km) range for occasional trips. The standard answer would be: use 1.3GHz but that’s not so simple due to the fact that I fly 2.4GHz for the control and you should not use a higher frequency for controlling the plane then the video signal is travelling. On one test plane I will use TBS Crossfire to test 1.3GHz but ideally all other planes (10+) should stay on 5.8GHz but delivers maximum penetration. I also do not fancy the idea of using an antenna tracker for various reasons. Here my questions/problems: (see pic for detailed solutions/ideas)

Diversity only on the receiving end?? That’s how it’s been presented almost everywhere but some claim you’ll gain approx. 10% signal. For my understanding that’s not true diversity because what about the TX? Having at least 2 TX in my plane will give me the advantage of hardware redundancy, different brands might behave differently, different antennas, and utmost important different antenna locations. The first question was how do I connect the camera rsp. the OSD output? Simply putting a Y or T connector will not work. The same goes for adding a second antenna to one transmitter. I found (surprisingly small market for these goods) some active video signal splitters:
2-way: FlyTron
4-way: FPVModel

QUESTIONS:
Q1) Do I need a splitter with gain control when splitting the camera/OSD signal?
Q2) Where do I place the FC filter – after camera or before TX?
Q3) With a 5.8 dual TX diversity setup can I still do 5.8 relay from GroundStation to Goggles? (if using different frequencies for each TX of course) or do I have to wire my goggle?
Q4) If doing a full blown setup (2x1.3g + 2x5.8g) will that be too much signal broadcasting?
Q5) If going for the “simple” setup is it better to use a 4-RX or 2x2-RX + EagleEyes?Q6) If doing a relay from ground station to goggles will that not increase the latency vs using a cable? If yes how much additional latency to expect? The main reason I want to go for 4 antennas is the ability to combine circular and polarized antennas and cover my entire flying area without having to move the antennas (or use a AAT). 1 circular + 3 polarized mainly due to the low vertical range.

Thanks to anyone that can bring some light in one or the other question!

Stuwe
YouTube: stuwe911
stuwe911

Re: REAL Diversity penetrating 5.8GHz

Postby xupapugy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:21 pm

The best walking sneakers are those that offer a personalized fit and cater to air jordan 1 retro high travis scott "cactus jack" your individual needs and preferences. Take the time to try on different styles and sizes to find the perfect pair for your walking adventures.
xupapugy

Return to FPV