Jim Drew of XPS wants FPV banned

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Jim Drew of XPS wants FPV banned

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 18, 2010 3:01 am

A vigilant reader alerted me to this post on RCG from that lovely man Jim Drew of XPS.

It seems that if he had is way, FPV would be banned.

How nice.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Jim Drew of XPS wants FPV banned

Postby kneedrag » Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 am

Could not be bothered to type my response in two forum's, but he is a closed minded moron.

Full details here http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/ne ... mpost17703

Lets just play the terrorist card and forget about the valid normal safety of just flying beyond your means. That thinking does this hobby in general no favors FPV or not.
kneedrag

Postby Ampair » Tue May 18, 2010 8:51 am

That clown should be slung, drewn and cartooned
Ampair

Postby kneedrag » Tue May 18, 2010 9:37 am

Here is my response to Jim Drew on RCG... could not resist..

FYI I am cutting and pasting here as it is going to be deleted just watch I am 99% sure of it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpo ... p?p=15113199&postcount=44

----

Lets think about this logically?
Is this not the real reason? You were persistently banging on this in the SEFF 2.4Ghz thread. Is not bandwidth management a better option.

Nah just easier to say ooo look what a terrorist could do this and then the whole world goes immediately lets ban it.

Well lets ban petrol tankers, the are mobile bombs, drilling for oil who says that leaking well off your coast is not a terrorist attack.

While we are on that matter lets ban cars, fertilizer, shoes (yes they can be thrown), etc.

It is almost as ridiculous as the one city in AU banning plane and kit flying in parks http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225862426246

Lets use our brains and use common sense and regulate the frequency's perhaps peg boards for 2.4Ghz should be introduced. Specifically for FPV, it can have pegs for 900Mhz, 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz.

Safe sane and logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
It only takes 4 FPV 2.4HGz video transmitters to completely wipe out the entire 2.4GHz band, making it completely unusable for R/C 2.4GHz systems. We need to stay off 2.4GHz with gadgets if we intend to use it for flying.
kneedrag

Postby dutch jones » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 am

tops stuff kneedrag thats awesome, i hope someone beats that guy with a big stick and maybe knocks so sense into him and maybe than he'll think before he speaks!!!

i tried to look at the herald link to see which city is banned in oz but it didnt work, you dont know which one it is. thanks mate

regards another aussie
dutch jones

Postby Toumal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Let's relax for a moment and remember that Jim Drew was the one who designed XPS v1, which hopped only when the receiver told the transmitter that it can't detect the transmitter signal anymore, because the back channel is supposedly magically immune to the same interference that caused the signal loss to begin with. And he invented the "special" spherical radiation antenna, etc.

Now, fact is that RC models are on the radar (figuratively) of intelligence agencies worldwide. This is not new. Back in 2006, our former chief of Austrian Military Intelligence (HNaA) published a paper that outlined the risks by cheap RC "drones" that are homemade, cheap, self-guided and effective at delivering biological and chemical agents. Add to that the fact that they can be made mostly of foam and you get the radar cross section of a modern stealth drone.

None of this has anything to do with FPV in particular. In fact, he identified specific components like Infrared-based horizon detectors (used in the FMA stabilizer for example) as primary components that intelligence agencies should monitor for they are vital for autonomous flight.

It's not FPV that will get our hobby tightly regulated and/or banned - it's going to be the first incident with a homemade drone spraying homemade nerve gas over a full baseball stadium.
Toumal

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:54 pm

And let's not forget the infamous DIY Cruise missile project
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby 7sp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:15 am

Toumal wrote:It's not FPV that will get our hobby tightly regulated and/or banned - it's going to be the first incident with a homemade drone spraying homemade nerve gas over a full baseball stadium.

It's not even going to take that... Now that it's pretty much plug and play. All it's going to take is for a couple of just out for a little fun guys to launch there FPV quad copters from the parking lot outside the baseball stadium for some up close and personal cam shots from over the pitches mound. Security and the PTB's will be all over it. Or even a few less scrupulous peeping toms (dirty old men or teenage boys, take your pick) buzzing the windows of the local teenage girls that like to leave their drapes open. :D

7SP
7sp

Postby 7sp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:18 am

RCModelReviews wrote:And let's not forget the infamous DIY Cruise missile project

That's priceless, Bruce's bout with the PTB... :D

7SP
7sp

Postby Sampey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:20 am

RCModelReviews wrote:And let's not forget the infamous DIY Cruise missile project

On a more serious note let us indeed remember the above, that was on the news and all here, the US government unashamedly interfered with ours (another sovereign nation) over the actions (quite legal , peaceful , and interesting/valid) of one man.

And they thought that was ok.
And that Bruce was "dangerous, irresponsible, and de-stabilising" if i remember the doco correctly. They're wrong, but they're also a big country with long arms and a major "nosy parker/nanny state/world police" type complex.

These days with the more common usage of FPV and autonomous flight/nav kit, i suppose its less likely someone would get hassled, but all it would take is an idiot to have an accident, or deliberately weaponise an r/c device, and that would be enough to get the whole thing canned.

As people interested in the hobby, for our own sake, we must figure out solutions to the potential issues involved before the government decides to. Personally i like the idea of self regulation/common sense, but in the real/practical world you have to factor in complete idiots (they are many).

Cant say i have a solution there, regulation wouldnt work/ would be hard to police.

Technology wise though hopefully the safety issues will be factored into more modern FPV, frequency hopping tech similar to what we use in 2.4Ghz transmitters for flight control might work, and having some sort of mechanical failsafe to land the craft in the event of camera/flight control failure (my design has a ballistic parachute type device) is a good idea even in smaller camera only designs.

All that being said, i've had a number of very enlightening conversations with a friend in the military, RE possible weapon isation/tactical use of the kind of technology we have access to (PURELY for intellectual interest i have absolutely no interest in bringing harm to others with my hobby).
Long and the short is, on a modern battlefield, anything we fly would be easy to kill, easy to detect, and even easier to locate pilot/launch point, among several other issues.
Yes you can put a bomb or other weapons payload in an R/C plane of sufficient size, but there are many easier, cheaper, more effective ways to deliver it.
Thus due to tactics and technology, our hobby presents no more threat than any other civillian tech.

That guy who thinks FPV should be banned on account of potential terrorist use, sounds like yet another silly yank jacked up on too much paranoia and self importance to me.
Common sense will not accomplish great things, simply become insane and desperate - the hagakure.
Show a little vision people! - Me
Sampey

Next

Return to FPV