Some AXN questions

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Some AXN questions

Postby quarry44 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:37 am

So when using that prop adapter my prop is not going to fall off anymore?

No,it won't provided you tighten it properly.
The 6x5 may be too much for the motor or esc.Could burn either of them out.
Try the standard 5x5 first.If you want to go faster,use the 6x4.
Btw.,using either prop,you will get some plastic rings.Use the one that's a nice fit on the motor shaft,then glue the ring inside the prop with ca.
These rings have been known to come out if not glued in.
Are you going to use the 9x as is,or convert to Frsky?
quarry44

Postby wesselspeed » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:05 am

But bruce said that if using the 6x5 prop it would get a better climb so he did use it and his motor or esc didnt burn out, why?
And can loctite also be used to glue the prop onto the shaft?
And i will not install the frsky mod yet.
Robotronic Stinger est. BL + 3, 3000 MaH lipo's + Team Orion Advantage Lipo Edition :)
AXN ARF, Orange servo's, 30A blue ESC, 2200 mAh 20c zippy, Turnigy 9x, HK 6ch reciever
WL TOYS V911
808 #3 camera
wesselspeed

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:43 am

But bruce said that if using the 6x5 prop it would get a better climb so he did use it and his motor or esc didnt burn out, why?

I think you'll find it was a 6x4 oops my mistake it was the 6x5 he recommended :oops: .
And can loctite also be used to glue the prop onto the shaft?

No not to glue the propeller on the shaft, the glue was to hold the hole size adapter into the back of the propeller if you are holding it with the rubber retainer.
A better solution is the collet adapter which holds the propeller and grips the motor shaft.
Attachments
Prop holder.JPG
Prop holder.JPG (53.91 KiB) Viewed 16742 times
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby wesselspeed » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 am

quarry just said a collet adapter WOULD NOT hold the prop.
I dont get it anymore :)

and i think he reccomended a 6x5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txawn37qwHA

so with a 6x5 better vertical climb but i goes a bit slower, so wich prop do i need to get it faster without wrecking the engine of course
Robotronic Stinger est. BL + 3, 3000 MaH lipo's + Team Orion Advantage Lipo Edition :)
AXN ARF, Orange servo's, 30A blue ESC, 2200 mAh 20c zippy, Turnigy 9x, HK 6ch reciever
WL TOYS V911
808 #3 camera
wesselspeed

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:21 pm

So when using that prop adapter my prop is not going to fall off any more?

No,it won't provided you tighten it properly.

He is using a negative as an affirmative
no it won't fall off.....ie Yes it will be fine if you use the adapter and tighten it properly.

I see from your other posts you are getting a higher rated ESC that should be fine with the 6x5 propeller.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby quarry44 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:34 pm

My apologies ,Wes,it was a 6x5 Bruce recommended.I bought 6x4E,because the 6x5 was out of stock.
Btw.,I was born in Den Haag.Where is Stiens?mvg.Hans.
quarry44

Postby wesselspeed » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:50 am

Stiens is in the north of the Netherlands, look it up on google maps/earth.
My order is now being packed i hope the customs wont catch it :)
WL TOYS V911
808 #3 camera
wesselspeed

Postby rogueqd » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:22 am

wesselspeed wrote:so with a 6x5 better vertical climb but i goes a bit slower, so wich prop do i need to get it faster without wrecking the engine of course

The 6 is the diameter of the prop, larger props have more acceleration/climbing power. The 5 is the pitch of the blades, higher pitches go faster. So a 6x5 will have more power than a 5x5, and a 5x6 will go faster than a 5x5. A 6x6 will have more power and go faster then a 5x5. Increasing the numbers means you will draw more amps and need a bigger ESC, so some people choose a 6X4 prop. This sacrifices top speed for more power at roughly the same Amps. Although dropping one number to increase the other is not an exact equation and you should still recheck the power requirements every time you change your prop or motor.
Last edited by rogueqd on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rogueqd

Postby pldb64 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 am

Nice summary!

It might be worth people posting a few examples of the Amp draw that they've measured in real life setups.

I know in my case i've (so far) only flown the 5x5 stock prop and that draws 16 amps at WOT. I run a 25 amp ESC so well within the bounds of the ESC and the Motor
I'll soon be trying out a 6x4 which i believe Bruce had indicated drew 20 amps in his setup. Anyone got any other real setups they care to report on?
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby wesselspeed » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 am

Items have not been shipped yet (being packed) so in the meantime i ordered some 18650 to make some battery packs for my turnigy 9x.

I will be using 3 different pairs and i'm going to test them all and post the results right here.
WL TOYS V911
808 #3 camera
wesselspeed

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)