Newbie Warning: Ordering from Hobby King

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Newbie Warning: Ordering from Hobby King

Postby pldb64 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Bill,

I get all of my FrSky stuff from Aloft Hobbies now ... price is comparable to HK but Wayne's stock seems to be more current (and he ships much quicker).

I'll be trying the upgrade later today so i'll let you know. I don't expect any discernable difference at this stage because i don't have a current sensor yet and that seems to be the biggest change (as far as i can make out). It's actually still not clear to me if the v2.1 allows the FLD-02 to show maH consumed or if its just showing Amps. If its the later, its of no real value to me compared to v2.0. We'll see i guess.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby pldb64 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:00 am

Bill,

Completed the upgrade which wasn't overly difficult - have to make sure you read the instructions carefully as you actually need to cross over the Tx/Rx leads on the FLD-02 end of the FUC-3 cable compared to their default position. Not a hard thing to do, but i'm sure lots of people will miss that step if they don't read right through the instructions.

The rest was very straight forward assuming you know what Com Port the FUC-3 is active on (easy enough to find this info on your device manager/COM Port list on your PC).

The resulting firmware seems to indicate that it SHOULD be able to display maH consumed! ... I can't confirm this as i don't have the new current sensor. But this gives me a good reason to go and get one now doesn't it :-). Would be nice if i could set an alarm on maH consumed, but i don't think that will be an option :-(
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:13 am

Hi Peter,
Thanks for that, pity it doesn't tell you the final consumption.
Did it do anything to the rssi when the rx was switched off?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Ray » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi Guys
Do not forget there is a Hobby King NZ on the North Shore in Auckland.Not as cheap as overseas but good contact for parts etc.Luey has helped me a lot as a newbie.I have found that even questions I am not sure are silly :oops: :?: get answered.Contact 09 440 9898.I am in the process of building an AXN myself and have used Bruces tips and bits from Luey.I am also very Lucky as my neighbour is into rc planes and we have a Thursday night build session in his garage with at least a couple of other guys like minded.These guys belong to a club out of Auckland and have been modellling for a few years.They are helping me learn to fly as well at a local park.Good luck with your build.
Ray
Ray

Postby Hal9000 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:58 am

I visited that shop Ray but was rather underwhelmed. While I'm sure the guys there are probably nice enough, I came away with the following impressions.

1. The day I visited everyone seemed to be working on cars and not particularly interested in a walk in potential customer with money to burn in his account.
2. The shop itself was not what I call welcoming. Stock jammed every where in rough categories and lots of do not touch signs.
3. Considering what HK sells there does not seem to be a particularly large selection. For instance if they had the AXN and Turnigy 9x in stock they would have had a sale, along with the ancillary bits and pieces.
4. I get the feeling that they have taken the branding, and stuck it on, in addition to what ever they were previously. And I think they were still in the process of getting set up there in Cherry Lane.

Now don't get me wrong I appreciate that there is likely to be some Hobby King representation in New Zealand but I wonder how the current shop will look to a newbie. As it is compared to say Hobby City, it does not engender me with confidence.

Perhaps I turned up too soon and things are looking better than when I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Last edited by Hal9000 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hal9000

Postby quarry44 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:42 am

That's probably the same guy that sells stuff on trade me under the "hobbyking nz" banner.I wonder if he has any connection to HK,other than buying the stuff,and trying to sell it at a profit.He won't see any of my money!
quarry44

Postby Malcurin » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:03 pm

he is the official Hobbyking NZ dude, Problem is they sell hobbyking stuff in NZ for almost the same price as everything else
For example a Turnigy 9X 60 us + postage, he sells them ( unmodified ) for 160NZ postage plus a small markup cant be over twice the price :S ( and yes that's how much i payed for my turnigy 9x i didn't know any better at the time...
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)