Powering reciever

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Powering reciever

Postby thos » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Bruce, I was wondering how should you power recievers these days. Years ago you just used the trusted nicad pack which seemed to work fine. I have just converted a Brolga glider to a electric power glider using the Turnigy Plush 40 amp speed contoller and motor. I am using this speed controller to power the reciever and control speed of electric motor. Does the speed controller need have a regulated power supply to reciever? All the controls work fine the only problem is when the power is cut from the transmitter the failsafe switches the elevator and rudder go to the predetermind positions but the electric motor goes to full throttle.Probably not what you would really want. Is this a programing problem in the reciever or is it a problem from powering the reciever from esc ? Can you power reciever from another source and still use esc on another output of the reciever. I'm using a Corona synthesized dual frequency reciever on the 36 mhz band. What is the best way to connect ?
thos

Re: Powering reciever

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Your receiver will need between 5 and 6 volts.

If you're using a separate battery for your receiver and servos then a decent 4 or 5-cell NiMH or 2-cell LiFePO4 (A123) pack is definitely recommended.

You can have a separate battery for your receiver and still use the ESC -- all you have to do is cut the *red* wire on the lead that connects the ESC to the receiver and plug the separate battery directly into the receiver.

Your failsafe must be set up incorrectly if the throttle goes to full. I'm not familiar with the failsafe settings on the Corona synth receivers unfortunately.

There may be others reading this thread who can chime in with more help and suggestions.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby thos » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try using another battery source for the reciever.
thos

Postby thos » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 am

I reprogramed failsafe in reciever with separate battery and it all works well . It even works now with the lipo plugged in as power supply. May be operator error? Thanks for the advice. Its a great web site and I'm sure must be appreciated by readers.
thos

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)