Best glue for epp?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Best glue for epp?

Postby Bio Hazzard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 am

My new EPP Teksumo just got here and I really want to get it flying :D Only problem is I've run out of the trusty axn glue D: So I've been down to bunnings a couple of times for glue, but the glues I've tried aren't working too well.

## What I've tried so far ##

So after explaining to one of the staff members at bunnings my concerns about glue not being foam safe and about the glue burning through the foam they gave me this shitty water based glue that couldn't hold two pieces of paper together :/
----
WELDBOND - Water based glue

Then I went back and grabbed some fast setting epoxy, I'm still trying to get this glue to work right as it isn't hold strong enough atm for my liking.
EDIT: Glue isn't strong enough, after letting it dry for about 1/2 hour on a test run it didn't hold together nearly enough :(
----
THE ORIGINAL SUPER GLUE - Fast setting epoxy

So what glues should I try next?
Bio Hazzard

Re: Best glue for epp?

Postby Bio Hazzard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:20 am

K, just tried another epoxy with no luck :( Just got some super glue too, it doesn't seem to be melting through the foam so I'll give it a shot.
Bio Hazzard

Postby Bio Hazzard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 am

Did some reading @ rcgroups, trying Selleys durabond now.
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am

Not sure if you can get this in your part of the globe

http://www.itwpf.com.au/devcon/product. ... oductid=70

Have used this on an AXN and gives good strength results after 24hrs, from application to around 6 hours the joined pieces appear soft and overly flexible but after 24 hours the bond is strong and the foam returns to normal.

My latest AXN I used EVOTITE CA460 from HK, the tail surfaces did a complete undamaged breakaway when I ran into power lines :shock: :lol: in a way that was good that all surfaces were undamaged but as to flight strength....................... :?: :|
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Keith » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Somewhere deep in the bowels of my memory I have a slight recollection of Bruce doing a glue comparison.

Or was it someone else...? Oh well, food for thought... Happy searching...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Somewhere deep in the bowels of my memory

That is not conjuring up a pleasant image!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby mikem » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Bio Hazzard wrote:the glues I've tried aren't working too well.

I built a Matrix EPP F3P 3D from Hobby King. I found that the EPO-style glue (that comes with the AXN) will not stick EPP. The EPP projects I looked at online recommend using a foam-friendly medium CA glue with a spray activator. The activator spray causes the glue to kick in within a few seconds. I used the GP products from Tower (below) but HK has similar stuff.

Great Planes Pro Foam Safe CA+ Medium Glue
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XKAV8&P=ML

Great Planes Pro CA Foam Safe Activator w/Pump
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXK297&P=V

You may find that you use more activator than you expect so think about getting a spare bottle. The sprayer fails after a few uses so buying refills is of limited value.
mikem

Postby quarry44 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 pm

I don't know where you are,but I have started using crafter's silicone glue.It's available at the local warehouse for $2.49 a bottle.It seems to be fairly quick drying,and held polysterene together very well.When I tore it apart,it didn't break on the glue line.
I,ve also used it on foamboard with good results.And best of all,it sands easily.I'll put up a piccy of the bottle later.
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:21 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
Somewhere deep in the bowels of my memory

That is not conjuring up a pleasant image!

Uh..oh... looks like Bill is identity experimenting..............again :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Mbanzi » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:27 am

If you're in the US, in my opinion the only adhesive that works with EPP is Homax Welder Adhesive. Don't use foam safe CA on EPP, only for Depron or DollarTree foam board. You want to avoid any adhesive that doesn't flex, like CA or epoxy. I have scatch built many planes from EPP, as well as the HobbyKing EPP wings & Bixlers using Welder Adhesive. Apply a thin coating to both sides, let it dry for a few minutes, then press together. I also use it to make all hinges on my EPP planes as well.

Best deal is usually on eBay, although I've heard that Lowe's sells it.

Mbanzi

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)