Turnigy 9xr or Turnigy 9x

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Turnigy 9xr or Turnigy 9x

Postby Nomadicbear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 am

New here and needing help. I have never done RC of any kind. I'm disabled and use a power chair to get around. I have fell in love with the idea of the RC's plane and quad's since I cant get up and move around like I use to and with the FPV and ability to take video and photos would make it even better. I have to keep on the lo end of the price range as my only income is disability from the Army. So I would like a Futaba 8fga or 8ja but that's not going to happen right now so Turnigy 9xr or Turnigy 9x whats the deal with them HobbyKing has the for 40/60.00 $$ US, also do you use a flight simulator program which one?

Thanks for the HELP!!!
Nomadicbear

Re: Turnigy 9xr or Turnigy 9x

Postby cynr100 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:15 am

Hi Nomadicbear and welcome to the forum.

I need to be honest and open to start with, considering your lack of previous experience, your physical and financial limitation this is not a hobby you should jump into without some direct physical contact with an RC hobbyist.
I by no means intend to put you off for this is a great hobby, without some direction from a well versed RC hobbyist you could spend a small fortune and end up with a room full of "stuff" and nothing gets off the ground.
With the right assistance and direction you could outlay as little as $200 and have an absolute ball.
Do you have access to a local RC model club or even your local hobby shop, make them aware of what your intentions are and get some ground floor education before deciding how you want to spend your money.
I spent nearly 9 months smashing my planes up (4), before I contacted like hobbyists. I have been with them now for 3 months and have only smashed up 1 more plane and I am getting more enjoyment.
If you could include your location in your"profile details", you never know there maybe another forum member just around the corner.

Cheers Dennis

PS to answer your original question....9xR with Frsky Combo and Er9x firmware would be my starter choice and Phoenix Flight Sim
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Andre » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 am

I agree with Dennis. I self taught myself to fly and smashed up four or five planes too before I became basically competent.

If you absolutely don't have anybody nearby to get you into the hobby, I would suggest you buy something like the Hobbyzone Champ. A beginner can fly it reasonably well straight off and it's not too expensive. It is super stable and will give you the opportunity to get used to the controls. It will get boring after a while because of its stability, but by then it will have got you well on the way.

But the best would be someone who can teach you hands on - and take over when you lose control - which you will many times.

Welcome to a fantastic hobby. I wish you all the very best and hope to see you on these forums discussing your flying successes.
André
Andre

Postby Nomadicbear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi, Dennis & Andre I have done some research on Google and local phone book. I live in far western Oklahoma US. The town that I live in has a population of 300. There is an RC club 158k from me in Oklahoma City, OK. US. where I go to the veterans hospital but I only get there about every 3 months. So it looks like I'm going to have to use foam Planes and I will build some planes out of foam just to help keep cost down till I learn to fly and I'm not crashing all the time.
Dennis you hit the nail on the head I chose the 9x/9rx because of the amount of open source for these radios. The boards in the schematics are very close to each other in design. I have looked at Phoenix Flight and Real-Flight 6.5 sim's

Thanks Guy's
James
Nomadicbear

Postby cynr100 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 am

James,
This site might interest you http://www.rcpowers.com and I would make contact with the RC club and co-ordinate a meeting of faces on your next visit to the VH.
Also, name your town you never know who is watching, if it wasn't for another forum member reading my profile making contact and arranging a meet at his field I would still be busting up my planes.

You're welcome :D
Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:05 am

Hi James,
In the "olden days" when models were radio affected rather than controlled local children were always very interested and would pursue the planes as they flew away and bring them back.
They were christened Fetchermites after a well known brand of servo of the time.
"Does it fly mister?" was their cry!
I'm sure this interest still exists in children of today buried underneath their X-boxes
Can you interest local children in helping you out with the fetching and carrying.
If no club exists, this is the chance to start one, perhaps as Dennis says there are some flyers in your area they just aren't in touch.
Best Wishes ,
Bill
Also try this website
http://www.okie-rc.org/
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:00 pm

James,
Don't know if you have heard of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php I made enquiries to one of the longtime forum members on your behalf and they came up with this contact that may be of assistance to you
Club Type: RC
AMA Club Number: 2803 Link to GPS and Aerial Photos
Club Name and Contact:
ELK CITY FLYING ACES RC CLUB
DALE WALKER dalew38@sbcglobal.net
200 CEDAR AVE
ELK CITY OK 73644-3802
Home Phone: 580-225-2253
Work Phone: 405-620-4685

Cheers Dennis
cynr100

Postby Nomadicbear » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 am

Thanks! Bill & Dennis, I have signed up at both groups. Dennis Thanks again for info. on the Elk City club I also found one in Weatherford and its even closer to where I live. Your time with helping find a club is amazing and from so far away funny how things work out sometime.
Nomadicbear

Postby Nomadicbear » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 am

Bill, The site you sent is a good one it has every RC club in the state on it Thanks again.
Nomadicbear

Postby Fr3d » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Nomadicbear has got an 8 month lead on me but it looks like I'm heading down the same path. Nomadicbear can you give us an update after 8 months? Have you found your fun hobby?

My plan is to get only the simulator first, then if the bug bites I'll buy the AXN later. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so I could modify a 9X quite easily but is that worth the saving of $36 over the 9XR? What I'm asking is, is the $90 for (9XR + a 2.4GHz combo) saving $36 better than the older 9X complete with 2.4GHz TX & RX from HobbyKing for $54?

My thinking now is, buy the 9XR (no module), 2200mAh battery and Phoenix v4 w sim cable(Total $190) and I can put in the hours every week until I know if this is for me.

Please weigh in with your thoughts.
Fr3d

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)