35 Mhz and 5.8 FPV

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

35 Mhz and 5.8 FPV

Postby wijdo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi,

I fly DJI 550 with 35 Mhz Futaba transmitter and a 5.8 GHz FPV setup. I tested the video range this weekend and could only go as far as 450m before the 550 went into fail-safe. So it wasn't the video that went out first it was the Futaba. I tested it a couple of times and every time around the 450m mark.
The FPV setup is a gorpo connected to the DJI 500mW Tx. The seniors at het flying club said that the "strong" 500mW Tx would block out the signals to the Futuba Rx.

Any info would be a great help.

Greetings,

Chris
wijdo

Re: 35 Mhz and 5.8 FPV

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:43 pm

More likely it is interference from the esc's that is adversely affecting range that's why most people who fly electric have converted to 2.4GHz because 35 wasn't happy with the noise from esc's and motors.
2.4 GHz is more immune to the noise frequencies generated and the frequency hopping gives a much better chance of the signal getting through.
A simple test fly without the video link on and see what happens (line of sight) I'm assuming the failsafe is return to home otherwise don't do this!!!. It'll tell you if its the Esc's or the video.
If as I suspect it's the esc's then for a practical solution you have to migrate to 2.4GHz
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Re: 35 Mhz and 5.8 FPV

Postby wijdo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 am

That's probebly it. I have flown in line of sight with no problems. That is why I stayed with the 35 mhz. But at longer range the esc's must get the upper hand. Will do a bit more testing before converting to 2.4

Thx for the help.
wijdo

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)