Multicopter Design Lessons

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Multicopter Design Lessons

Postby jax200 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:53 am

Bruce

I'm fairly new to the RC world of multicopters, and have now spent a good deal of time viewing your videos. Many thanks for all the energy you put into this endeavor, particularly with the didactic stuff and build tips that are so important to understanding the basic concepts and make us better builders and pilots.

That said, I am very keen on learning more on how to design multicopters of various configurations and missions. Currently I am looking to design two types of 1000mm hexacopters: one for endurance and payload (cost not as important), the other for speed (but cost low as possible). I am using ecalc as a guide, but quite frankly I am not entirely clear as to the design algorithm to use. Have you addressed this in any of your videos?

For example, with the second type "race" hex, I started with the following assumptions: size: 1000mm, weight: 2.5kg, endurance > 15min, speed: as fast as possible (I'm up to > 35 mph now on ecalc). I played around with props 12-15" with different pitch. Tried different batteries to satisfy endurance and power demands. For the motors, I started with some Multistar 600 KV. How do I go about optimizing the design from this point?

What is your suggestion for a non-engineer, new builder who wants to learn more about design? Have you published any books on design?

Again thanks for your very informative videos.

Jack
San Francisco, CA
jax200

Re: Multicopter Design Lessons

Postby marcumharrison1 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:25 am

Hello and thank you for providing this tutorial. It's my first quadcopter, and I'm choosing my components. I conducted some research and I’m glad I saw your post here. Very professional and detailed! Thanks again for this detailed information. I already bookmarked this page and I will also share it with my friends. By the way, I will drop my account page here - https://musescore.com/user/40315375. If you want to get free to play pc games, just send a message there. Bye!

see this guy for the link
marcumharrison1

Postby Nik Tomas » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:44 pm

Designing is my hobby. I am willing to devote a lot of time to this activity, especially for not to do writing assignments in law school. I was convinced of the wrong choice of profession because I am not interested in learning laws and I am constantly looking for law essay help Designing is the profession of the future, I enjoy taking design lessons.
Nik Tomas

Postby Nik Tomas » Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:39 pm

Design lessons are what lay the foundation of knowledge for creative professions, but in order to grow as a professional in this direction, you need to constantly educate yourself and try something new. For example, a discovery for me was the use of vector graphics in my web projects, especially spear vectors. This year this is a special feature in the design of top designers and not surprisingly, the result is cool.
Nik Tomas

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)