Soldering iron

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

Re: Soldering iron

Postby Keith » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Yeah it's quite flexible. A lot more than the couple of cheapies with the thick cable I had...
Two handed is good.. I can burn myself twice as much now... :lol:
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby AshleyB32 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:42 pm

the cable seams prity flexable mabe a little stiffer than the hakko's but i never kinking either so don't know if thay will stay kinked or not
AshleyB32

Postby kaptain_zero » Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 am

I have two Hakko soldering stations and I love them to bits.... Clones are all over the place, including Hobby King and many Chinese outlets, but none seem to have the quality of Hakko.

Is Hakko the ultimate soldering station? I think not... there are many other brands and some stand out and offer more, BUT, for hobbyist use, Hakko is great, and the clones are probably OK as well. I have a clone handpiece and it works fine, but the cable is stiff and short. Does it matter? To ME the answer is YES, as I dabble in electronic work too... for R/C type work... meh... anything that gets hot enough is probably fine!

As for Weller.... I've seen too many bad reports of their latest offerings to recommend them... No personal experience, just word of mouth.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby S-rob » Tue May 07, 2013 8:49 am

kaptain_zero wrote:I have two Hakko soldering stations and I love them to bits....
As for Weller.... I've seen too many bad reports of their latest offerings to recommend them... No personal experience, just word of mouth.

hmmn , it used to be the other way around.
The Tech I used to work with 10 years ago said that Hakko were the joke of the industry & weller were the stations to get

But I love my Hakko as well.
If buying a new hakko, good advise is to replace the thin tip with a chunkier chisel tip (holds the heat longer)

Get a tip cleaner, or buy a goldilocks frypan cleaner & put it in a old ashtry as a cheap tip cleaner
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Stand.html
S-rob

Postby cynr100 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 am

I finally acquired one of those cheap HK soldering stations, it's brilliant. I love the fine tip now I am doing pin soldering :o the adjustable heat control removes the frustration of waiting for "the time to be right", how the soft flexible cable caress the back of your hand............... :o :? :roll: oh come on... behave it's just a bloody soldering iron.
It's quick, it's easy and doesn't wipe out everything on your desk when you use it and can de-solder stuff from China with ease. At $15 or so it's cheap to repair by replacement.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Previous

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)